- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Sherry Oak
- Stated Age
- 18 years old
- Sherry Cask
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 13 Oct 2009 4:16 pm
42 × in wishlist
90 × member ratings
306 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Macallan 1991
19 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.34 points
- I am not a fan of what Macallan is doing in terms of price, marketing, and overall bullshitness, but this 18 year old distilled in 1991 is very, very good, and is in fact BETTER than the Macallan 25 yo sherry oak bottled in 2018. No joke. My friends and I tasted them side by side, and we were all in agreement. The current Macallan is just shit, unless you are willing to pay thousands for some of their well-aged cask strength stuff.
- Old batches of Macallan really shined, back in those days.
- Pretty good, not overly complex
Nutty, menthol, eucalyptus, little sherry notes, spices, toffee, chocolate - very good
Oily, liquorice, subtle sweetness, more toffee and chocolate, more menthol, spices, little herbal
Medium long, warm
- I agree with dramdracula this is actually excellent, I really didn’t expect anything from a 90s MacAllan but it’s really delicious, no need for tasting notes here it’s typical MacAllan.
Ensorcelling sherry is not a bomb, but refined and superb. // A bit harsher
8/8 Dry, spicy, and straightforward. I think the age helps moderate the overwhelming sweet wine flavors. Nice, but boring?
Smooth and faint.
- I think this is my favorite bottling of Mac 18 distilled in the 90's and later. Recent bottlings are nowhere as rich as this! I wonder what this was like before they watered it down to 43%?
Exactly the nose I imagine when I think Jerez sherry casks. Raisins, prunes, cherries, cocoa, caramel, and sherry-soaked oak. Perhaps not super complex but it is rich and decadent!
Often times the mouth is a letdown compared to the nose, but not the case here. It is just as rich and decadent as the nose, if not more, and delivers exactly the same flavors (some may think this is a negative, but I love these flavors).
Medium, smooth, a little drying (in a balanced way), raisins, oak, and a hint of smoke.
- Very moreish but as usual with Macallan you have to ask yourself is an 18 year sherried malt really worth this price, absolutely not IMHO
Prunes, cocoa, black cherry, rich sherry, damp wood and raisins.
Smooth, rich rum and raisin, dark chocolate, hints of orange and slight fudge.
- Nose: Dark chocolate, dried apricot, toffee, hazelnuts / nougat / Nutella, subtle orange, slightly spicy oak, lukewarm and black currant are lukewarm - but overall not as complex as hoped
Taste: here it plays its strength - great sherry, red berries, toffee, hazelnuts, looks very round, harmonious and complex.
Finish: very sweet sherry, slightly dry, medium long, later some oak and black currant
Conclusion: Somewhat disappointing in the nose, it is interesting only when hand warmth. when nosing it even looks a bit disappointing. He comes out loud in the mouth, as he unfolds all his class. Soft, round, yummy - you do not want to lose it, but just drink it - 88 points