- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Bodega Series
- Stated Age
- 40 years old
- Delgado Zuleta Sherry Casks
- Number of bottles
- 50.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Delgado Zuleta
- Added on
- 06 May 2018 12:30 pm by holborndrinker
24 × in wishlist
31 × member ratings
50 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Talisker 1978
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.22 points
- Good is good. Shit is shit
- a typical Talisker delicious also not deadly as feared first, but I think that a Talisker is not necessarily so old, finish and nose are already very mild
roasted hazelnuts, dried and overripe exotic fruits - pineapple, papaya, mango, lemon, light salt spray, floral, sweetened green tea, jasmine, sage and orange blossom, baked honey, licorice, later light smoke, orange
Chili and pepper, very syrupy, intense delicious yellow fruit basket, syrupy, crystalline, delicately salty, distant smoke - barely noticeable - almost looks like wood dust - quite lively, vibrant, spicy with nutmeg, cinnamon, bay leaf, herb olive oil
the finish is beautiful - but does not bring anything new or is it particularly long - just comes on medium
- Nose: First juicy, fruity, sweet pineapple, tangerines, nectarines, mango, quickly supplemented by clear minerality, lime, salt and moist soil. Far away swing fine sherry notes, but are optimally integrated, convey sweet strawberry notes and Butterscotch. Amazingly, honey and maple syrup are still showing up before finally a delicate phenolic component comes into play. And as I try to fathom them more and more, I realize that they already existed all the time, just just a little bit of the fruity sweet tones superimposed, or distracted me from this simply. But now it is there and becomes more and more obvious over time, smoky and dry, always accompanied by fine herbs and fresh lime. What a complexity!
Mouth: Also on the palate, this very beautiful mixture of complex fruit, a lot of honey and peat smoke, which now appears a bit more dominant, and a slight mineral saltiness. Elegant and slim, fine and almost filigree. Honeydew honey, ginger and fine herbal tones alternate, the oak for the age surprisingly discreet and more in the background. Unfortunately not as complex as in the nose ... develops peppery / spicy.
Finish: Unfortunately a bit short, but very elegant, peppery, mineral and with a nice dry smoky note in the aftertaste. https://whiskycuse.wordpress.com/
- Very classic, like an old-style peater from Islay, something you can't find again.
Mellow, very shy, mineral, crystalline, peaty and farmy, very like Caol ila from the late 60s or 70s, or a Brora/Ledaig. Classic! Peppercorn, tropical fruits, banana.
Very lemony, peaty and farmy, quite woody and drying, then more floral, rich waxes and peppermints, very spicy, light body, rich leather and a touch of rubber.
Medium, lime and tropical fruits, peppers.
- Tasted in a vertical casting 25 - 30 - 35 (2012 Special Release) - 40 (Bodega Series)
Wow! In the nose again a shovel on top. At first heavy, nutty with hazelnut and peanut, furniture polish and oak. After some time in the glass of sea air, smoke from smoldering heather, salt, orange blossom, jasmine, rose water. A few drops of water and "Bäm!" It becomes ultra-fruity (The 30yo greet) with an even larger and interwoven fruit salad of yellow-fleshed and exotic fruits.
This nose does not get boring even after 45 minutes. But halt.etwas missing ... Exuberant oak and wood! The 40 years make themselves only in nuances (a little cinnamon and nutmeg in the background) and fresh in the glass poured noticeable. The main flavors mentioned are dozens of smaller and interwoven flavors. Just great, that nose.
In the mouth the first surprise - Chillicatch like a 10yo. That's what I call Destilleriecharakter! Various salts, many fruits and nuts in perfect melange. A steady continuation of the nose with a beautiful oily consistency. Nothing stands out here, everything is finely woven.
The finish is medium long, complex, salty and fruity. Again, no bitterness. Great. After about 10 minutes comes in the rear mouth again fruit, only a whiff of sawdust is there.