90.40/100
Strength
18/144
06 May 2018 9:03 am by maltaholic

Whisky Reviews for Springbank 21-year-old

24 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.40 points

[June, 2018]  This review is about the batch bottled on March 27th, 2018.  Usually I do not pay around 200 Eurobucks for a bottle of (just) 21-years old stuff but this is a Springbank (that always was more expensive than others and mostly the quality justified its premium).  And I had a (very small) tasting sip which tasted that much of an old-style dram so I definitely had to buy a bottle to verify this...

...and you can beat me, but this is the best 21-years old release of Springbank for decades.  I never ever thought a modern dram can replicate the adorable old style profile many whiskies had decades ago but this Springbank did it.  If the recipe of 70% rum wood and 30% first-fill bourbon maturation is the key to such a fine profile please keep this recipe for future releases (and please bottle a comparable 25-years old or even better a 30-years old).  To me as a drinker this dram is worth its high price of around 200 Euros, no doubts...
      The colour is yellow gold and the texture shows fat tears with slow legs. The nose is very, very old stylish with tons of adorable OBFs (Old Bottle Flavours, meaning signature flavours of old Scotch whisky styles that usually are not part of modern whisky profiles anymore (some of them are hard to name) - how come in a modern dram? Beside these there are dozens of other aromas but I am too lazy to state them here. Simply find out yourself, if you like such delicate and complex drams - but shy away all you lovers of modern "I-punch-that-in-ya-face" whisky styles, you will find this dram rather unimpressive (missing the "punch", I guess). All comes in a lovely creamy (Can a nose smell creamy? Indeed, it can!) and flawless profile that I get addicted to the longer I sniff it!
    • Taste
      The taste is multi-layered and chewable with again a completely old style profile (distillate-driven) of an adorable quality. Lots of different flavours to detect with not a single flaw or off-note. It takes some time and effort to get through this jungle of flavours but it is a joyful and interesting expedition, well worth the effort. But again, if you are in for the "quickie" - whiskies that demand no endeavour of exploration, go for the modern styles (and leave such bottles for me)! Water is not needed, this dram is perfect just as it is.
      The Springbank arrives warming and charming on the palate and instantly coats the whole of the mouth with no distracting moments. Wow, this is good! The finish is long and nicely fades out in waves with a minor drying feeling (old papers) that is not distracting because it is contained by the sweet and creamy flavours. The rum aromas and flavours are not too dominant and perfectly join in the overall harmony - this is dangerously quaffable (extremely dangerous!). I bought another bottle (actually, two)...

2. Pollenflug scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior

Conclusion and pictures on: https://tomtrinkt.de
      Wow! Immediately it becomes apparent that one can dissect the malt for a very long time and will win new aromas associations little by little. The first nose fascinated me right away. My expectations as a Springbank lover were high and were easily surpassed. Countless flavors are very closely interwoven and gradually crystallize during the nosing. Patience is needed! I have tasted the Springbank on three different days and have always been able to identify new flavors. I take a brief summary of my notes: sweet blossom honey, pears, green apples, ripe citrus, apricots, pineapple, tangerines (cheesecake), beeswax, dates, vanilla pods, fine herbs, old books, sawdust, light grassy notes, mineral aromas ( a touch of salt), brown sugar, very soft smoke and elegant oak notes complete the multifaceted conglomerate. The nose reminds me with many oldschool notes to old bottlings from the 60s and 70s. So far, I've had very few bottlings from the time in the glass (Springbank, Bruichladdich, Glenburgie, etc.), but somehow I feel spontaneously transferred to another time. The alcohol (46%) is also perfectly integrated. Great!
    • Taste
      Silky soft, creamy, timelessly elegant and full-bodied, the Springbank starts on the palate. The intensity and interweaving remains at a very high level. The alcohol content of 46% is also perfect in the taste. A few peppercorns prance on the tip of the tongue for a very short time before the multi-layered aromas fully unfold. The taste is a magnificent image of the nose. In addition, I add black tea, peaches and pleasant maritime notes, which now gain more presence and free themselves more from the background. The harmony is first class.
      Long, sweet and spicy and warm. Also on the finish line the Springbank shines with harmony and elegance. Appearances of raisins, pastries, vanilla, salty caramel sweets, green apples, apricots, almonds, light smoke, herbs, old books and pleasant oak notes let the Springbank slowly and full-bodied finish. On the palate remains a very slight dryness.

3. jjkmlss scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

PLEASE BE NOTED ALMOST ALL 93+ RATES OF THIS WHISKY ARE FROM NEWBIES AND MARKET-SELLERS, EVEN ON WHISKYBASE, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ABNORMAL.
    Good but mediocre whisky, nice & enjoyable peachy note but loses balance.
    Fruity & biscuit-y yet too one-dimensional. Body's chalky and lost its oil-y texture.
    I enjoy any peach yogurt so this is set to be 86-87, could be worse. Definitely not comparable to any of the local barley production line. I don't see why there are many experts backing this, this is not even the best 200 euros Springbank. Go with local barley, always do.

4. ASWhisky scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

The nose needs a lot of time - dates, fruits, honey, figs

Water, smooth, soft herbs in the mouth

Departure a bit bitter, at first little aromas in the finish later sweet wood

5. AlexPt did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

92pts whiskyfun by Angus

6. dRambo scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

very fruity with still very clearly recognizable Brennereicharakter - very intense for "only" 46% - reminds me of old Bladnoch
      Pineapple - fresh, extremely ripe, sweet and fruity but not overripe, also flambéed pineapple, clarified warm butter, Wick cough sweet with pineapple and mint,
    • Taste
      lowland fruit bomb - oily soft, fruity sweet, ripe pineapple with a light fermentation note - clear wax note, fine oak, mineral lemon
      very long and full bodied - very fruity even here, butter, wax, pepper, very intense

7. Jackson05 scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

A simple, yet luxurious Springbank that is just unbelievably drinkable. The rum casks make themselves known, but are never overbearing. Springbank’s distillate is still present, it’s a really great integration of cask and spirit (the way it should be). A welcome change from the usual sherry influence. Very very good but you cannot expect huge flavour spikes, it’s all about harmony here. Springbank is expensive yes, but one of the only distilleries to back it up in my opinion. I’ll buy another, I love this style.
      Nose: Soft, subtle - not to say that’s a bad thing. The rum asserts itself with some clove and allspice, but in moderation. Vanilla, definitely. Some almond, marshmallows, honey and ginger. Hiding behind that is a little Springbank minerality. Lovely.
    • Taste
      Palate: Creamy, velvety....luxurious. Wow what a beautiful mouthfeel. Alcohol is perfectly integrated. Peaches, butterscotch, calcium, clotted cream, sponge toffee
      Finish: Peaches, allspice and clove, toffee, cinnamon sugar toast, vanilla ice cream, creamy and slowly fades away leaving a pleasant mouthcoating residue.

8. VaryingViewpoint scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

This is very good, but to me not $400cnd good, more like $200 good. I think I'm not a fan of rum cask maturation. I just had the Springbank 12yo CS https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/125395/springbank-12-year-old yesterday and it gave me more of what I like in a scotch.

I didn't put any tasting notes as I found it difficult to quantify the flavours on this. I did enjoy this, but it doesn't do it for me in the way I think it should for the asking retail price of $400-$440cnd.

9. Kalleholzbein scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

10. tomjcollins85 scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

The end of the bottle for me, so I've given this offering plenty of time.

I don't have much else to add, but my scores are reduced.

If this is considered 'good' whisky, then I'm worried about what else I buy based on other peoples recommendations.
    It is 'OK', nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry, not for me. Maybe you will get on better with it. 82/100.
      Initially Disappointing, weak, non-complex nose with hints of glue (yummy!)

Give it 20 minutes in the glass and it becomes more pleasant. The glue is replaced with candy floss and is generally sweeter. This is much better.
    • Taste
      Yes, the initial taste is quite good, and quite sweet, but after seconds it just becomes flat, bland and sharp (this is not a smooth whisky). It coats with medium thickness. Pepper and spice begins to run the show after 15 seconds in the mouth.
      Finish is very sharp, bitter, and ends with strong oak and some smoke.