- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Svenska Eldvatten (SE)
- Bottling serie
- Eldvatten Warehouse Experience #2
- Calculated age
- 13 years old
- Sherry Butt with PX Finish
- Number of bottles
- 58.1 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 05 May 2018 9:20 pm by svenske2015
8 × in wishlist
59 × member ratings
89 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Orkney 2004 SE
15 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.02 points
- Alcohol and sherry clearly smell, but the HP character comes through. In the taste the PX sweetness clearly noticeable, alcohol well integrated. Finish long and sweet. That's how Sherry-HPs tasted years ago-a compliment
- You can definitely perceive it as a pure sherry board, I think. On closer inspection and with plenty of rest time in the glass, it reveals not only classic PX aromas but also an herbaceous-earthy-mineral depth and interesting warming, ethereal-fragrant elements, which makes it appear quite complex. On the palate, all the aromas come together to create a powerful and at the same time harmonious overall experience. I was particularly impressed by the warm, expansive and long finish.
Immediately after pouring, there is a lot of surface tension in it and it looks quite closed. Except for sweet PX, I don't notice much else that directly. With enough ventilation and rest, I can find better access. Furthermore, it is clearly fermented-vinous and liqueur-sweet, as one can expect from a PX maturation. I find dates, dried figs and plums. More bitter hazelnuts. Behind that there are nice earthy and herbaceous notes. Herbal peat. Maple syrup, spread on saddle leather ... Waxed linen cloth. Then the oak barrel appears with liquorice confectionery, sweet fennel and candied aniseed. The earthy, balsamic, heavy, ethereal sweetness of sandalwood. Shoe wax. There is also pebble mineral and a touch of damp vaulted cellar. Grapeseed oil. Quite versatile.
Concentrated grape-like sweetness and vinous acidity hit powerfully in the mouth. Red and dry fruity, then it becomes molasses-like and coffee-roasted, nutty. Very fragrant as described in the nose, with earthy undertones. It is developing further and further away from the liqueur-like sweetness and more in the direction of a well-adjusted European wood spice.
After swallowing, it spreads in a comfortably warming wave that builds up for a very long time in the whole chest and throat area. A great feeling. I can't really distinguish between the flavors here, it just creates a coherent and very tasty overall impression. Fortunately, it is neither too sweet nor too bitter woody. Sweet-spicy and leathery-velvety, I would say. Herbal peat remains at the back, which creates a nice dry mouthfeel in my mouth.
- Nose: some lubricants, strong sherry notes, some snuff
Taste: Light spice in the background, of course a lot of sherry with spices. The whole taste is nicely balanced. Pretty strong aroma
Rating: 89 100 Quite long ending with strong aroma and spices. Good whisky Definitely a whisky for lovers of sherry.
- Aroma: bright sherry, malt, raisins, dates, figs are felt ... Let stand for about 15 minutes ... The pressure of sherry goes away and the character of CP in sherry appears ... spirituality, polish, light haze and sea pebbles ... Sherry crushed heather HP (Added a drop of water: all the same, delicate sherry, a slightly smoked flavor came ...
Taste: good! sweet figs, dried dates, aged tobacco leaf, leather ...
Finish: long enough, with pepper and salt
Definitely will go to all lovers of sherry.
- The sherry is really overpowering here but I guess this is the whole purpose of that bottling, nice if you like sherry bombs
- Very strong representative of the sherry faction, with a slight tendency to sulfur notes. If this does not bother you, this is the place for you.
Strong sherry, at times the alcohol in the nose, raisins, dark berry compote, wet matches, malt
Strong onset, chili and sweetness, raisins and plums, a little sulfur.
Middle and warm. Dried fruits, raisins, prunes, turns into grape-dark chocolate.
Strong sherry / rum fragrance, distinguished middle-aged man's woolen coat after a warm spring shower, very round, also strong, with closer smelling alcoholic note. This is what a Highland Park has to smell like.
Stay a long time in the sherry taste, Sherry Sweet, smoke very embedded, more in the background. Like Swiss Cigarillo (crooked dogs, Switzerland). Pastries, Christmas biscuit (not cute).
Like a HP from 6 years ago, how he should taste.
Long, warm finish. A bit biting, but very much taste. Hardly bitter, long sweetie.
- It's tasty, but does not knock me off the stool. I would not swap for a bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh (and therefore not spend 100 € for).
pure: velvety-spicy, sugary-burnt, somewhat raisin and dried fig, maybe speculoos (nice, but not inspiring); with water: slight smell of stable and tobacco comes to it
spicy (pepper, nutmeg, allspice), dried fruits, speculaas, chopped wholemeal bread
the spicy (pepper, nutmeg, allspice) is still something, in addition to milk chocolate, some charcoal and a hint of sweet and sour (sugar beet syrup?) And tobacco