89.00/100
Bourbon Barrel
Strength
12 Apr 2018 9:32 pm by maltaholic

Whisky Reviews for Mosstowie 1979 SV

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.00 points

1. Eun1 scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

Well-balanced combination of lively distillate character and long ex-Bourbon barrel ripening. The age of 38 is quite noticeable and expresses itself in earthy fruit notes, into which a striking oak flavor plays with a menthol note.
      Sweet oak notes, pear compote, biscuit, menthol freshness
    • Taste
      Oily mouthfeel with oak flavor, nuts, spicy roasted coffee and dark chocolate. A honey note sounds, but quickly turns into dryness.
      Long and dry with milk coffee, herbs and a hint of cardamom.

2. LucToutCourt scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

[If I have some more time to spend on this bottle, I'll translate my notes]
    A bottle that made me an eye for a long time (my first visit to LMDW Odeon is to say). A kind of love at first sight for no apparent reason: no sherry or peat that I might like. Just a closed distillery with stills and an aromatic profile that everyone described as atypical.
      Time has left its mark: woody, autumn undergrowth, delicate vanilla. Menthol appears next. It is plant, almost mown turf, it reminds me of a Blair Athol 1989-2018 of SV. Would it be a turnip smell? Oh, and I forgot that little blood orange side in my nose. Can also be a smell of white broth (yeah this mountain flower!).
    • Taste
      It's oily, frankly minty, lightly brioche. Always this woody and vanilla side. There is a hint of coconut or coconut milk. Ohh ... and that would not be a dark chocolate side of it? I think that if. And it tends to nuts to reflect well. Really interesting.
      Sacred persistence even if a little more watt would have been welcome. It is quite focused on the cereal, menthol has faded relatively and one would even perceive an anis addiction. Always a persistence of dark chocolate. In fact the taste he leaves me makes me think honestly that I would leave a good dark chocolate with a minty side. Very curious.
      The note is held in length and spring like licorice, really great.