Glenfarclas 105

Strength
04 Oct 2009 1:09 pm
UncoloredChillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Glenfarclas 105

35 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.27 points

1. Dubnobass scored this whisky 84 points Member Senior

A friend of mine advised me to try the 105, after I didn't really like the 12 years. I usually buy the 18 years old, which I think is a tasty whisky price-wise. I agree with most of the reviews, but what I certainly agree with is that you need to add these well with the right amount of water. I am not that quick with water myself, but with some you certainly have to and this is certainly one of them. after this it becomes a rich woody sherry-like tasty dram! A bitter barrel taste and dry fruit-like on the tongue. the aftertaste remains bitter and lingers in the throat for a long time, I think this is a delicious whisky for its price, but it really needs water otherwise it's not compleet. Yet I have retained a bit of spice I guess I am at 48% (of the 60%). I also think you can overwater this whisky too quickly. "You like this or not."

2. LDB scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Nose: toffee, some berry compote and a considerable dose of model construction glue - ouh!

Mouth: fruity, biting sherry, cheap nut chocolate, an incredibly strong alcohol note, whether pure, with 1 or 2 teaspoons of water ...

Finish: dissipates quickly and a malty note remains

CONCLUSION: Phew, that was tough. OK, he gets even more chances, but I don't think this fighting pig will inspire me in the long term.

3. Gareth74 scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

The number of the beast.

It’s been ages since I’ve gone under the spell of Glenfarclas’s 105, I’ve seen things here and there alluding to signs that things have slipped a little but hindsight can do that sometimes. So, when I scored a brace at auction for less than £55 a little bottle I was happy enough to take a trip back to visit one of the original NAS sherry beasts.

If there’s one thing this and Aberlour’s mauler of a dram their A’bunadh can do, it’s convert even the most ardent bourbon drinker to a whisky lover. Let’s see if that’s still the case.

On the nose. Before the nose is in the glass it’s reaching out like a velvet wrapped sherry sledge hammer. There the unmistakable chocolate and baking spice and dark, dried fruits. It’s sooooo boozy and there’s a lovely strong sense of wood and varnish and vanilla emanating from liquid that makes the mouth water. It’s hot too, not horrible solvent heat but a hotness that you get from rich bourbon. Sweetness. Rich. Red fruits. Tasty wood glue. Almost no sulphur, maybe the tiniest of whiffs.

In the mouth and it is an unrelenting arrival. The doors are, just like Michael Caine wanted, blown off. And then everything else is blown off. Just like in the film. WHOOF! Initially it is syrupy and sweet, then the arrival morphs quickly into a lovely prickly rye like heat mixed with a voluminous sherry and cocoa bloom. Wood attacks the palate and in comes a swift slap of pepper and ginger. The wood and sherry comes back in and the heat builds again with a pinch to the tongue before the volume drops.

It’s goes out on ginger and bitter chocolate and cocoa and sherry. The wood is nicely drying. They heat is intoxicating and you leave a dram of this stuff knowing you have been converted. To what, maybe it isn’t obvious but it has you in its power.

105 is an animal of a dram. At 60% it is a heavyweight that needs to be consumed with care. as others have mentioned, it needs a splash of water to open it up and dial down the woodiness. Go too far with the water tough and you’ll be left in no doubt how young it is. Aim towards the high 40’s% and it’s good. And... If ever there was an affordable dram that could convert even the most stubborn of bourbon drinkers then this is it.

One final note. This whisky goes extremely well with dark chocolate. What further possible recommendations are needed?

4. crippos scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

A dram that appears simple but is capable of hiding a lot of complexity. Didn't find that much balance, with the wood definitely being the upfront flavor - and sometimes hiding the other good stuff. This doesn't convince me and needs a re-taste, maybe with water.
    Nose has definitely been the best part of my dram, it kept on giving and had, instead, a very good balance.
      Sweet & dark as I'm accustomed to sherried whiskies: sweet raisins, wine, vanilla (that's an extra!), hints of almond. Slightly foggy, well balanced with the sweetness and the woodiness. Some "cappuccino". And at my last sip, some clear floral notes; well hidden in this vineyard!
    • Taste
      Some sugary/mou sweetness on the arrival, then mostly... wood. Hints of wine, almonds, nuts. Kind of tasty but isn't this too much wood?
      Long and very woody, with the wine omnipresent. Some dark chocolate, nuts, and a lot of dark coffee in the end - and this is the only note that's tête à tête with the wood. Not a very pleasant finish for me, but surely not that bad.

5. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 77 points Connoisseur

A bottle I have tolerated for three years is finally polished. In-between blending it away and sharing it out, my insights each year were as follows:

2019: Initially scoring this 77, more than a 1/3rd down, I’d say it’s adequate drinking fodder at best.
    2020: Resigned to the occasional hip-flask, “the type of whisky a bloke in a pub would offer you for your first one”, [Ashley].
    2021: [Still] feels more like a chore than a pleasure.

Time to bury the hatchet. From the heel of the bottle, here goes. Bear in mind, I’ve always been a fan of the 105.
    _____________________________________________________

N: A vanilla-ed~cinnamon-y/sandy > orangey/sherry syrup-ed spirity/chemically-malty/metallic nose, one that’s nigh-on impossible for me to attribute this to pot still whisky against a young ‘grain’ whisky from a column still.

T: Indeed, this is not far from young grain spirit, except some grains – 9yo Strathclyde [WLP], 4yo Loch Lomond [WB], for example – are far superior. With a sharp/cutting/sandpaper-y/cinnamon-y/ > peppery ~ raisiny/grainy/sandy orange-ish Lucozade-lozenge into banana-ish fruitiness, I ask myself – of this palate-wrecking stuff – am I now simply drinking this for its ethanolic properties?

F: Continues rum-like, [feint-y] orangey, banana-y [husky coconut hints = optimistic stuff],… cinnamon-y/peppery/chemically [again],…

C: After that disappointing Glenfarclas 18yo [WLP81], and now this! No one can say I didn’t give it my best shot. I’m so pleased mostly everyone is more enamoured with it. A poor [travel retail] batch perhaps?

Scores 77 [at the most]

6. jykoo scored this whisky 82 points Expert Junior

Medium intensity, Dried fruit, toffee, vanilla, chamomile
    • Taste
      Medium intensity,dry and gripy.
      Medium finish

7. olgakrasnogor did not rate this whisky Member Senior

The aroma of whisky is complex, with oak, apple-pear and candy notes
    • Taste
      The taste of whisky is dry and stable, rapidly developing, revealing notes of spice, oak and dried fruits
      Finish is surprisingly soft, despite the fortress, pleasantly warming, rounded, slightly smoky.

8. Daan2 scored this whisky 78 points Member Senior

Strong sherry taste, with Springbank-like stale flavor. First time i tasted dried apricots. Very nice in cask strength

9. wildhairyhaggis scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

One of my all time favorite whiskys. Intense taste, fruity, balanced - no whisky for in between - rather for the main evening program;)

10. TechnOBY scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior