84.40/100
Strength
04 Oct 2009 1:09 pm
UncoloredChillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Glenfarclas 105

29 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.40 points

1. Dubnobass scored this whisky 84 points Member Senior

A friend of mine advised me to try the 105, after I didn't really like the 12 years. I usually buy the 18 years old, which I think is a tasty whisky price-wise. I agree with most of the reviews, but what I certainly agree with is that you need to add these well with the right amount of water. I am not that quick with water myself, but with some you certainly have to and this is certainly one of them. after this it becomes a rich woody sherry-like tasty dram! A bitter barrel taste and dry fruit-like on the tongue. the aftertaste remains bitter and lingers in the throat for a long time, I think this is a delicious whisky for its price, but it really needs water otherwise it's not compleet. Yet I have retained a bit of spice I guess I am at 48% (of the 60%). I also think you can overwater this whisky too quickly. "You like this or not."

2. crippos scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

A dram that appears simple but is capable of hiding a lot of complexity. Didn't find that much balance, with the wood definitely being the upfront flavor - and sometimes hiding the other good stuff. This doesn't convince me and needs a re-taste, maybe with water.
    Nose has definitely been the best part of my dram, it kept on giving and had, instead, a very good balance.
      Sweet & dark as I'm accustomed to sherried whiskies: sweet raisins, wine, vanilla (that's an extra!), hints of almond. Slightly foggy, well balanced with the sweetness and the woodiness. Some "cappuccino". And at my last sip, some clear floral notes; well hidden in this vineyard!
    • Taste
      Some sugary/mou sweetness on the arrival, then mostly... wood. Hints of wine, almonds, nuts. Kind of tasty but isn't this too much wood?
      Long and very woody, with the wine omnipresent. Some dark chocolate, nuts, and a lot of dark coffee in the end - and this is the only note that's tête à tête with the wood. Not a very pleasant finish for me, but surely not that bad.

3. wildhairyhaggis scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

One of my all time favorite whiskys. Intense taste, fruity, balanced - no whisky for in between - rather for the main evening program;)

4. TechnOBY scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

5. Benromach15 scored this whisky 70 points Member Junior

My first try of a cask strength whisky and after a bit of experimenting I settled on a few ice cubes and leaving it about 5 min to air.

6. valasios scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

7. KyotoLefty scored this whisky 83 points Member Senior

Appearance: Medium orange-honey-amber. Thick and oily.

Nose: Alcohol fumes, caramel, vanilla, apple, malt biscuits. Gets maltier with a few drops of water. Wax. Pineapple, cinnamon. Chewed out bubble gum. Chocolate, raisins.

Palate: Neat: burning alcohol, honey, vanilla. Gingerbread, Christmas cake, Still slightly waxy.
    Lovely palate, though, rich and oily. Silky.

Finish: Quite smooth and silky, oily, wax, pepper, a bit of oak, honey.

With Water: This absolutely needs a lot of water. At least ½ the amount of whisky.

Overall: It’s really important to get the right amount of water into this. Too much can kill it. I am enjoying it much more the 3rd time around. Great value. Definitely doesn’t shine like its big brothers but a fun whisky.

8. WhiskyLovingPianist did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

[2019/2020 version]

N: Instantly disappointing, this batch appears a little younger/more spirity.

T: Unpleasant chemical arrival. Both this and the 2017 release end up in the same ballpark, but whilst the older bottle goes through a few gear changes, this one simply burns from the off and out to the finish.

F: On par with Famous Grouse.

C: This hasn’t significantly improved after 3 months which was the hope and I think I’ve drunk too much to send it back [1/3]. I’ll have to write a letter. Score-wise, we are provisionally looking at around 78 [at the most?].

9. matfrl scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

10. dram-drinker scored this whisky 82 points Moderator

Too much butterscotch for my taste
      Toffee, butterscotch, vanilla, leather, nutty
    • Taste
      Punchy, oily, good sweetness, nutty, more leather
      With water: more citrusy