Lagavulin 08-year-old

L6 147 CM000
28 Jan 2018 12:21 pm by GLEN MAUR
Colored

Whisky Reviews for Lagavulin 08-year-old

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.32 points

[May, 2017] I had this dram during the Manager's Masterclass tasting at Feis Ile. This review is on the second (summer) batch that was significantly larger than the first (spring) batch.

This is still an absolutely fine Lagavulin without no doubts but I found the first (spring) batch a little better. This second batch has some hot moments in the mouthfeel and a slightly more sour taste that I did not find in the first one. Hence a lower scoring...

2. Whiskywobbler scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

From the first moment I opened the bottle, this little peater has captured my tongue. Perfect strength, perfect complexity for this age, just probably one of the beste young spirits that I ever tasted.
      It opens with a full, damp, but also fresh, dry sort of peat. Earthy, with notes of champignons, wet leather jackets, leaky old wooden sheds, and slightly vegetal, a herb garden after the rain. Well, it has been raining a lot here lately… What I really like is the range of subtleties that come forward when you sniff it for a few minutes. To me it does not feel that young, at least older than it is. Also very clean, reminds me of some mezcal that I tasted recently. Full of roots, a hint of ginger tea, moss, wet stones, and in between some slightly fruity notes, just noticeable, pears and sour apples. Wood from a extinguished fire after a sudden rain shower. Notes fresh green tea, faint hints of citrus fruits, and peanut butter, I didn’t expect that.
    • Taste
      So lovely right from the start with lots of potency and a good amount of freshness. Different sorts of peat, fresh roots, smoked dragon (I mean the herb, not some creature from GOT), fennel, and more undefined smoked herbs. A few drops of pear juice and a hint of apple skin. Yes it is young, but so well balanced and already reaching a fair amount of complexity. Burned grasses, smoked herbs, hints of smoked fish, I think mackerel, and more salty notes coming through. Sandy sea water, more smoky salty fish, a few olives. Oh yeah.
      More of the above

3. Ainulindale scored this whisky 83 points Member Senior

A good dram but very classical IMHO
      Peat and dark chocolate on the nose, followed by sea salt and some sort of vinous character
    • Taste
      Salted chocolate on a bed of peat, coriander, sweet and rich, creamy but not that much
      Ok finish leaving on the peat and cocoa, with some sort of peppery finish

4. Whiskywobbler scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior