- Blended Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 15 Jan 2018 6:57 am
6 × in wishlist
66 × member ratings
180 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Mars Maltage
14 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 80.51 points
- Good drinkable, but one of the weaker blends from Shinshu Mars. What is really in there? Hard to say ... little Japan, I suppose. Basically, the Distille is on a good path and is often underestimated ... even the newer releases from 2011, are getting better.
- Japanse Speyside
This blended malt is composed with Japanse malt whisky from Shinshu Mars, but blended with Scottish malt whisky. Can we still call this Japanese whisky? Yes, according to Japanese law.
The nose is dark & sweet, silky soft on tobacco, orange juice, cornflakes and walnut oil. Hint of pineapple and pastry. This clearly contains some sherry matured whisky. Very sweet and accessible, while far from grand.
Creamy and sweet on the palate. A liquid dessert on pastry with fruit (apricots, banana, mandarin) and some spices like nutmeg, cinnamon and black pepper. Caramel and again some tobacco. Pleasant.
The finish might not be very long, but it is pleasant enough, mildly drying on a touch of woodsmoke.
If there was anything like Speyside in Japan, than this whisky was from that region.
- All in all ... suitable for about 50 €
Honey with floral notes then fruit notes with a malty note. Interesting nose for a NAS
Again a floral sweet but now with some white pepper
Drying and short
- The departure weakens, but otherwise for 29, - definitely settable at home, the 80, x are definitely too little, just because he is a cheap Japanese beginner.
Already a lot of off for such a young beginner, bread crust, walnut oil, some tobacco and sweet cereal / cornflakes, orange oil, silyseed, clove and cinnamon
Beautiful Magginoten, flambéed bananas, the orange oil in between, apricot with core and shell, cardamom, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, some pepper too, already a nice interplay with depth for a NAS beginners for 20, - in Japan
The same as above, only fading, a little more smoke and becoming drier, as often on leaving, medium long
- A good whisky, with a nice balance. An easy sipper too. What it lacks in complexity, it makes up for in balance and richness.
Slightly metallic to start, but then softer notes of vanilla and sweet pastry, but also cigar tobacco and char. Hints of tropical fruits like pineapple. Fairly straight-forward.
Somewhat creamy, with sweet malt and caramel, and some spices like cinnamon and pepper. What really stands out is the tobacco.
Hints of fennel, but mainly sweetness and finally a whisper of smoke.
- Dangerously easy to enjoy.
Excellent blend nose, could actually pass as a young Speyside.
Quite some dark fruit and sherry, gently spiced, a little vanilla, dark tobacco.
I don't like the term "smooth" but this really is smooth, no edges or flaws what so ever. Less offensive than apple juice.
Again dark fruits, honey sweet vanilla, with a decent amount of clean smoke.
No particular evolment just all the sweet goodness slowly fading.
- Sweet on the nose, rather greedy. Neither complex nor original. Easy to drink, but extremely forgettable.