Glenfarclas 1988

89.42/100
The Family Casks (Release W17)
1988
2017
Calculated age
Sherry Butt
Strength
05 Jan 2018 5:47 pm by Schmausel

Whisky Reviews for Glenfarclas 1988

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.42 points

[September, 2018] Old style sherried whisky matured in american oak (quercus alba) casks almost exclusively because this wood is perfectly suited to mature both sherry and whisky without too much dominant "spiky" flavours - and for decades the american oak was much cheaper to buy than european oak (so all the spanish bodegas bought american oak for their casks, too). This changed when most of the very old american oak trees (outside the national parks) were harvested - younger trees provide a more aggressive wood and they are more expensive per cubic meter, of course. Around the same time the modern whisky boom started and distilleries all over the world were looking desperately for additional high quality casks. So more and more casks both for the spanish bodegas as well as for whisky distilleries (virgin oak) are produced using alternative oak sources - mainly european oak and (because even that is not sufficent enough) most recently caucasian oak. European oak provides a much more bitter-herbal flavours profile to malt whisky compared to american oak and caucasian oak owns an unusual menthol-eucalyptus flavours spike that is not to everybody's liking (try the Ardbeg Kelpie to get an impression on that). So given the flavours profile of a single cask dram one can almost precisely determinate the geographical wood source of the cask...

...and this cask most probably was made of european oak. It shows a very strong herbal-driven sherry profile that is not my favourite taste, unfortunately. The dram itself as well as the maturation is all fine and I know connoisseurs that adore such a herbal setting - it is just that my taste preferes rather subtle herbal notes and not such dominant ones. Nevertheless this is a flawless and excellent dram that all herb witches and wizzards will appreciate very much, for sure...
      The colour is russetmuscat and the nose offers a clean herbal-driven modern sherry profile without any off-note (no sulphur, hooray!). There are just very few sweet aromas in this nose so it turns a little bitter - beside the herbs I find a chalky-mineralic note and some (green tea) leaves. It is a fine nose, for sure - just the profile itself is not my favourite one...
    • Taste
      The taste is again centered around bitter herbs and spicy wooden flavours in a fine mix - but you have to like such an un-sweet sherry maturation. After some chewing the barley sugars and fruits show up, finally but still they keep shy in the background. No flaw that I can find (no sulphur, another hooray!) but unfortunately this is not my favourite tasting profile...
      The dram arrives bold and impressive on the palate with just a minor coating effect but no distracting feelings. The finish is long and gets even more bitter-herbal (camphor) without distracting moments. Some water smoothes the dram and turns it more approachable but I fear it looses its charm for all lovers of bitter-herbal drams this way. I like the neat dram better.

2. RauchkoppWB did not rate this whisky Newbie

Bright gold, tears thin legs with tears and pearl necklace with a very even "curtain texture"
    Glass used: Eisch Sensis Plus
    I am standing in the furniture shop with delicious, summerly fruity sherry. Nobody bothers me, I am not urged, but cordially invited to look at everything in peace. A few furniture is glued, I can see that, but with the beautiful wood scent I barely notice. Unexpectedly fleet-footed I walk past a counter on which a small bowl of vanilla pudding is served. He is still a little warm and garnished with raspberries. I sit on the stool in front of it and notice right away: it's made of softwood. He still smells fresh. They serve me peppermint tea, or something similar, but I can not figure out which one it is, because I push it aside. I'd rather take a glass of water ... At my request, I am told that the chair is untreated and therefore would smell so strong. But I am a nature lover and enjoy it. I'll order a tea, but black Ceylon Assam. With a lot of candy. I lean over the pudding once again - it's cool. I start to spoon ... Now I know what this stand is about: Experimental recipes are to be tried out! **** someone has stirred black pepper in the pudding! Fascinated by the intense explosion, I still smell the softwood stool, but rather take a sip from my sherry glass. While I am amazed that I can keep my balance on the stool at the counter so well and consider buying it, I notice that there is still sand on my shoes from the outside and crumbles underneath the floor. But that should not bother me.
    I stay for a while and enjoy my black tea. After some time, a group of kids will come by with their new balloons. They wave to me in passing. It reminds me of talcum and how powdery it would feel to get it in your mouth.
    But the thought is abruptly interrupted by my friendly service, which offers me a bowl of sweet cherries that also smell seductive. I recognize the thick juice in which they swim, that one has taken out of the glass. I think "what's up?" and ask for a lookup. Instead of the previous dessert I am given one with a strong pineapple flavor. With a wink, they tell me to try this. I'll take the bowl with me this time and keep going. I pass the department with the old solid wood furniture that I smelled a bit before and smell my pineapple dessert again before I try the first spoon ... I notice immediately: the jokers have **** **** again added some pepper, but it adds a little ginger. But instead of getting upset, I'm so excited about my creativity that I even forget about my water. But it tastes more intense. Today seems to be action day in the furniture store, because I pass a beer stall: **** there are all the varieties that I know - dark, bright, sweet, tart. But for my stay I decide for tasty dark Kellerbier. After the pineapple-ginger roller coaster ride, the sweet and tart beer is a successful conclusion. The waiter asks me if I still want spicy ketchup with my bratwurst, but I ask, "What ketchup? What sausage?" and wave off. As he notes for himself: the food went to another customer from across the street, right at the other end of the bar. Now I can not smell it anymore and concentrate fully on my beer again. I remember the cherries that the pretty waitress had offered me earlier. They smelled so delicious. I just finished drinking when my brother-in-law called me: I should finally come out, after all, I've been gone for exactly an hour. I walk past the beautifully smelling wooden furniture and smell again on my dry sherry glass - it was nice, fruity sweet, but anything but intrusive. As it should be. Thankfully, I take a look back and think of all those who have offered me these great treats. Without which I would never have experienced what I was allowed to experience. Vanilla and pineapple with pepper and ginger ... Who comes up with that? And who would have thought that it would taste so delicious on a softwood chair next to a bowl of pickled cherries and a Kellerbier? Dear Whisky - We have not known each other for our entire existence (at least 30 years) and yet our two long ways were destined to intersect in May of this year. Although most of you will not be as old as me ;-), but I will always keep a small amount of you who should always remind me of the small switches that change so much in life.

3. Prof_Dr_John scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior

A wonderful Glenfarclas! An unexpectedly fruity-fresh old single malt of the extra class. I would not have expected that. I particularly like the fruity component of pineapple, raspberries and vanilla, which, together with the oak tannins and well-integrated alcohol, deliver an incredibly harmonious overall result. From me a clear buy recommendation and 93 points :)
      Summer, fruity, "easy" Glenfarclas comes at the beginning therefore. The scent of fresh fruit immediately flows through the room. I find the dominant pineapple flavors particularly interesting. After a few minutes, approaches of raspberries, cherries and fresh mint join. Very interesting, very fresh for his age. The alcohol is very well integrated and almost imperceptible.
    • Taste
      After 15 minutes in the glass, the first sip: oily, almost "creamy" is the Glenfarclas on the tongue. The alcohol is very palate friendly and does not burn in any way. The impressions of Nosing continue here. Now flavors of liquorice and sandalwood are spreading, spicy pepper, old but sweet sherry, pineapple, vanilla, flower meadow ... a dream! A summer dream. Very complex, very complex. Everything is very well matched. No disturbing off-flavors are to be discovered. A second sip after another 10 minutes brings some ginger and hints of freshly baked bread. Gorgeous!
      Despite all the euphoria, I must confess that the finish is not "endlessly long", but has some time in the mouth. The Glenfarclas leaves a very pleasant mouthfeel. Do not burn, everything is very harmonious and pleasing. The salivation is stimulated and you giert formally after another sip. Slowly, the palate is dry and it remains wonderful impression, in which the sweetness of the Ananans and the light spicy notes of the oak shake hands.

4. ARDBERG scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Part of 15 dram GF challenge a very good friend set up for me.