- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- Bourbon Barrels + Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- L7219 12 19 P/002500
- Added on
- 20 Dec 2017 10:17 am by Andytka3
4 × in wishlist
91 × member ratings
155 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Isle of Jura 12-year-old
12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 79.55 points
- Aroma: open, rather light, sweet malty, white bread, oatmeal, caramel, dark raisins, dried fruit compote, wood, plywood, pleasant menthol freshness. Not very rich, but everything is in balance.
Taste: spicy, ginger, nutmeg, burnt caramel, burnt wood, activated carbon, zest, dark fruits (plum, grapes), moderately sweet.
Finish: delicate spices and herbs, wood, raisins, prunes, burnt bread crust, oily, medium length.
Bottom line: good malt-woody release, balanced and pleasant aroma, everything is slightly worse in taste and finish, but I didn't feel any disaster and wateriness due to 40%.
In general, a good release for review, the pluses include the good work of the casks and the balance of sherry and bourbon, the whisky is felt for its 12 years.
N,T,F: The profile talks of soft fluffy sieved white flour-coated chewy caramel-ed & sherried raisins that become slightly more rubbery with a certain sherry pong, yet stay mainly steadfast in an easy-sweet-oloroso kind of way.
C: I can see why novices [that will always be novices] like Jura. That’s why it’s so prevalent in pubs & bars [in the UK]. Surprisingly perhaps, this is good whisky. Jura better than Balblair you say? Today, yes.
- The influence of sherry brings a real plus. Again it's warm, woody, slightly fruity, orange and rhubarb marmalade, with a hint of smoke it seems to me. Or is it rather coal. Light vanilla drizzle in the background. Crushed lemon pulp. On the palate, apricots, prunes, peaches, plums. It is very nice. But the finish is a little acidic, it is really the weak point of this distillery. Fortunately it is quite short.
- un côté assez boisé,du fruité sur les mandarines,la pêche et du raisin un peu confit,un peu madérisé,des épices assez fortes,et en retour une trace de fumée,c'est simple,mais fin et typique de la distillerie!