90.17/100
Morrison and MacKay (MMcK)
Càrn Mòr - Bequest
10.05.1991
20.11.2017
Bourbon Barrels
Strength
17 Dec 2017 4:42 pm by RoyalScotsman

Whisky Reviews for Bowmore 1991 MMcK

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.17 points

1. Llama_rock did not rate this whisky Newbie

I am collecter of Carn Mor bottlings and this is perhaps my favourite. In my opinion the early 90s were when Bowmore shined.

I ended up buying another bottle to save for a special occasion.
    This takes me back to when I used to live on the Scottish coast, the smell encapsulates the beach and the sea air perfectly.
    It has the right amount of peat to keep me happy whilst also being incredibly smooth and refreshing, it has a distinctive citrusy nose.
    Upon tasting, hints of apple and citrus stand out amongst subtle spice.
    The finish is where it gets interesting, a classic but yet satisfying peat and seaweed is met. However, this is backed up by floral sweetness which works surprisingly well and adds to the complexity.

This is easily in my top 5 whiskys. I am not normally a Bowmore fan, and prefer heavily peated drams such as Ardbeg. But this is something special, it has the smoothness and complexity of Brora 2007 at a fraction of the price. I would describe it as a subtle peaty fruit cocktail.

My advice is to buy a bottle before stock has gone, the auction prices are catching up quickly.

2. detachedblue scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Those Bowmore from the early 90s are stunning, very high-quality malt, light zesty nose, robust but no harsh peat smoke, sweet barley.
      Lemon, very fishy, light peat, papaya, some tropical fruits but not like the 60s
    • Taste
      Leather, bonfire, ashy, burned wood, smoke and cigar
      Medium, lemon, smoke

3. Achany scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

gentle but clearly visible peat, gentle but still strong. salty, sea breeze, hints of bacon. than some fruits, exotic, some oranges, pineapples, mixed with some oaky spices. the finish is long, peat and sweetness mingle quite well. this is some very fine peated dram! I really liked it, just my style of whisky.

4. Fight65 scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur