Oban 12-year-old - Unblended Highland Malt

88.25/100
Decanter
Strength
75 (proof)
Label
26 2/3 Fl.Ozs.
Bottled for
John Hopkins & Co Glasgow
06 Dec 2017 4:07 pm by lincolnimp

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Oban 12-year-old - Unblended Highland Malt

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.25 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

This is like a rollercoaster, one mouthful I think its underpowered and a bit of a  bitter finish but then the next its vibrant, fruity and lovely.

Oban 12 for a long time has been one of my favourite old style 10-12 year single malts, I love old Highland whisky.

I have had a few of the later pyramid decanters but this is my first of the original square decanters.

The glass stopper is completely useless and a very poor fit, the cork is quite shallow which might explain the drop in fill level

I get it to anywhere from 85-90 points (a wide margin) but I am sentimental, others may not get it near that, but that's whisky I suppose.

This whisky was bottled around 1970 so its distillate from the 1950's, Highland history for me.

I would dearly like to know what the cask mix is?
    • Taste

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

I want to award this a massive score but I think it has lost a little of its power (slightly low fill level in bottle) with some OBE and there is just a little bitterness and I mean a little but with this profile I want zero woody bitterness.

Still in my view this is a good whisky and would be perfect if it had retained all its power.

A few more glasses will give me a better perspective,  but first impression is a good one, imagine this at 50+ %, now there's a thought?

I will not score this just yet as I am a little sentimental about old Oban 12, a little nostalgic, will take my whisky goggles off in a minute.
      Honey. lemon, apple, wafer, polish, lemon meringue, there are also definite coastal notes, brine, seashells etc.

This smells old, smells zesty, citrusy and I love it, the fruits seem to grow in the glass.

I just hope the palate keeps up.
    • Taste
      Its thick and oily, with loads of fruit skins, apple, plum and then the full fruits of mango, grapefruit, hints of apple and a little fresh peach.

There is a little dryness and a little fruity/woody bitterness bit it all adds to an old Style coastal Highland Malt.

There is a lot of fruit but its stewed fruit as opposed to sharp, cirtrus, zesty fruit.
      reasonable length, still vey fruity and it seems to have sweet spikes mixed in with icing sugar but then some drier bitter notes.