87.60/100
Selected for Ralf Scholl's 50th Anniversary
27 Nov 2017 1:41 pm by Angels share

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Blended Malt XO TWA

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.60 points

1. Angels share scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

A blend? And XO? Confusing ... and there are a lot of purrs and stories about these Whiskey Agency bottlings. I summarize what I found out about this bottling ... or figured out my ...
    Certainly, the liquor comes from the Edrington Group which means that we would have as potential candidates Macallan, Glenglassaugh (until closure 86), Glenrothes, Highland Park, Tamdhu and Glenturret ... and about William Grant & Son, with whom they teamed The Highland Distillers have also theoretically taken Glenfiddich and Balvenie. And who knows what else was whistled on the right and on the left of the way? So off to the wonderful world of conjectures, rumors and fairy tales ... here the post-factical:
    What can be assumed as halfway assured is that very old schnapps is involved. First, the note "XO" on the label to express this, on the other hand, the taste profile speaks for it clearly. And here begins the story (or rather the rumor) about it: In about 2003 or 2004 Edrington discovered about 25 barrels - singlemalts or an already mixed batch of old barrels - from the late 60s or early 70s, whose alcohol levels had fallen below the 40% mark. These were not simply left to conventional blenders. I suspect that such sophisticated malt with different styles of Blender was not asked, who are more interested in their style consistent and in large quantities together. Therefore, it was decided to correct the problem with the alcohol by a (still possible) Vatting with another whiskey and store this mixture again in barrels (which in turn is a fact, because the label says "taken from a single cask "). In the meantime, the former Vatting became legally blended - although no grain was used here.
    As far as the "young" malt is concerned, I would like to rule out that it was New-Make, because to my knowledge this contradicted the former Vatten. As a result, it would be a malt that was at least 3 years old. Most frequently, I found in the research on the assumption that it was Glenfarclas. I would like to join in this rumor - for one thing, this friendly family distillery is on the good side of power; on the other hand, nothing compares to a portion of a 17-year-old Glenfarclas when tasting.
    But what can that old stuff be? Similar XO bottlings have often been named after tasting: Tamdhu, Glenrothes, Macallan, and Highland Park - and probably from the 1960s to early 1970s. Well, for this special bottling, I share this guess from the presumptive age. I had the luck and privilege to drown myself from this time a very large basis for comparison and I'm even more sure that it is the 60s. In addition to taste old-fashioned sherry notes and fruit flavors and Paxarette in the finish.
    But which distillery ... Highland Park of sherry barrels of this period, I associate with completely different taste experiences. Glenfiddich and Balvenie ... I could not verify this way. Macallan ... I would not rule out, but then I would suppose that the young malt would have a very dominant share in the mixing ratio, because a Mac Sherry monster also out of such an experiment with his bare bottom on the tongue would jump. Tamdhu - here I have to admit that I have not tasted enough droplets of this kind to allow me to judge here. But Glenrothes - or, as I say, Glenrotze - is guaranteed to be involved. With Glenrothes, I always associate a bilious note, which is why I usually rather hate these malts. There are only a few exceptions from the 60s and quite dominant sherry casks that have probably tasted me. And that I taste here beyond doubt, so I think that is almost every bet.
    So my tip would be 17y Glenfarclas vatted with plenty of sherry sherry-glerothes ... and probably still watt with it .... or just something else.
    But all the seizure does not help in the end, if you have no way of finally resolving the case. But this somehow makes the attraction of this drop, because of everything can be something true (quasi Schrodinger's whiskey) - and at the end of the day that is a beautiful old-school-paints for yesteryear "earlier-was-the-whiskey -Better "guys .... that's just right for me. Many thanks to the values ​​CE, that he made this possible for me.

2. Cerebrum scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

Blind tasting Advent calendar Brühler Whiskey house no. 2

Rich gold, restless in the glass, wide legs.

Nose shows fruity-dry sherry, spice, spice cake, menthol note (cooling in the nose) - Extreme flavor cargo and variety. Slightly fleshy - Umami - Maggi.

On the tongue much softer than expected. Fruity-dry sherry, not sweet. Clear old oak. Coffee, dryer are in the medium-long finish.

Great malt!

3. Angels share scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

Remember the times when sex was safe and whisky was glorious?... I just did.
      Sherry, vanilla, figs, plum, wax polish, old oiled bookshelves
    • Taste
      the younger part is quit punchy, then the older part takes over and grinds the edges.
      wonderful old school sherry, figs, chocolate, leathery, a little caramel, gail-bladderish... and last but not least hints of my beloved paxarette