- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Calculated age
- 03 years old
- 33 months Bourbon + 10 months Muscat finish
- Number of bottles
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 500 ml
- Added on
- 20 Nov 2017 6:52 am by REGISRO
18 × in wishlist
48 × member ratings
419 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Gouden Carolus Muscad'Or 4th Anniversary
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.07 points
- Good bottle
- Quite a busy and interesting, well balanced malt, which is remarkable when you realise it's not even 4 years old. Gouden Carolus are not keen on disclosing where they get their bourbon barrels from, but they sure are good quality as they lay a very sound foundation on which the Muscadet finishing thrives. A Belgian whisky that stands it ground!
herbal and spicy, with some white pepper, apricot, peach and some funky/musty notes. Adding water brings out the spices along with some underripe green and red fruit and soft pepper.
Soft arrival, followed by spices and grapes with a sort of meaty element to it. also some earthy notes with the same musty touch to it
Not very long and a bit dry. Adding water prolongs it somewhat and softens it out, but also adds a bitter touch
- Traditional, recognizable packaging for the Gouden Carolus brand. Squarish bottle in a hardened cardboard box. This time a very bright yellow was chosen, probably because of the link to the Muscat-finish that was used.
Fruit and flowers on the nose. Suddenly, I'm in a summery meadow with all the flowers in bloom. White stonefruit - peaches and apricots aplenty. This promises to be something else!
Bottled at 46% this dram doesn't bite at all.
Velvet to the mouth, soft and smooth and what a dram! Barely 3,5 years old, but damn well balanced. Aroma's of apricot kick in, ripened fruit deepening to sultanas, even. The Muscat-finish brings a richer sweetness to a whisky that would otherwise have nothing but caramel and vanilla.
Finish is medium to long with raisins and a softly lingering herbal spiciness. There's some cinnamon in there at the end.
This is a dram that delivers on it's promise. Very young, but well balanced. Some would find it a bit too sweet, as the Muscat de Beaumes de Venises-finish has a strong influence. Nevertheless - nice!
Apricot - nectar - ripe fruit - spicy
- Golden Carolus Muscad'Or 4th Anniversary Single Malt Whisky. As the name suggests, for this fourth edition, Gouden Carolus has chosen a 14-month arrival on the old Muscat casks of Beaumes-de-Venise from France. tasting note: very approachable sweet and sensual without being too sweet. Another fine distillation with a sweet and delicate aftertaste. It is to be expected that this choice after ex-bourbon maturation gives a sweet punch with the necessary acidity in the background.