Glendalough 13-year-old

Bourbon Barrels + Mizunara Oak Casks Finish
Strength
18 Nov 2017 11:25 am by Candide

Whisky Reviews for Glendalough 13-year-old

57 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.67 points

1. Hemdl scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

By far the most unusual malt I've had in my glass for a long time - and I like it. So something different, but overall really nice. A true exotic, which can score with its fruity notes and extreme contrasts. I like him!
      Well that's definitely an unusual nose, which will be remembered. Extremely fruity and sweet, with an extremely unusual base note. I have the exotic fruits like pineapple, peaches, lychee as well as syrupy honey and the peach schnapps which one likes to get from the Chinese. Behind it also a spicy pastry note that reminds me of the spice cake for Christmas and also a strong anise note.
      It's guaranteed to split people's minds, but in my nose I find it refreshingly different and really good.
    • Taste
      Sweet-fruity again, although not quite as intense as in the nose (that would have been only fruit juice could afford). Light and spicy woody notes blend in a pleasant way with the exotic fruit notes (also here lychees, peaches and maybe some pineapple). Add to that a sweetness, as I know only from cane sugar, without being really annoying or overpowering. Instead, it lays like a light veil on the wood notes and thus provides an astonishingly "easy-going" character. Enclosed also a present note, which I can not really grab or name. Whether this is the sandalwood note that is often mentioned here? Definitely but very unusual.
      Medium long, slightly astringent. Fortunately, without any real bitterness, the fruity-sweet basic tendency of the malts can set even more accents, before the more dry-spicy wood notes take over.

2. matts scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Character: This bottling burns with an absolute recognition value in the memory. The mixture of mango, sandalwood, sea buckthorn, ginger and orange oil is simply unique. That's what I call a bottling with a very own character. Rating: A true broadening of horizons. I'm really glad that I could try this bottling. Although it does not quite meet my personal preferences, I will not forget this taste experience so quickly. For that alone I would like to recommend this drop from the heart. Those who like this special, spicy-exotic character are in great danger of falling in love with these Irishmen. Then it's time to strike fast while it's still available. Exactly this bottling will probably never come again. With a rating, I rarely do hard. I can understand that this Glendalough powder for many connoisseurs the 90s mark. For me he is now simply the "Fanta Mango" among the whiskeys! However, like the Fanta Mango back in the 90s, it does not quite meet my personal taste. That's why it stays at "only" 88 points for me.
      Basic flavors: fruit, citrus fruits, wood, herbs, spices, oils (ethereal), malt *, cereals *, vanilla *; Note: * = barely Description: One of the most exotic noses I've ever come across. Active I would never have guessed, but EinSpatzUnterVielen opened my eyes: Sandalwood is really program here. In a remarkable interaction with a lot of mango and a fresh tingling herbal and spicy note that reminds me of ginger and sea buckthorn. I'm a bit heavy on describing other individual spices, but I feel a certain resemblance to kavalans from the bourbon cask. Light peaches, pears and some citrus and orange oil are also part of the party. After a longer life comes finally something slightly creamy with very subtle hints of vanilla. The nose is really fancy and my first association "strange" does not want to disappear on the second day either.
    • Taste
      Basic flavors: fruit, spice, wood, spice, oils (ethereal), coffee (espresso), malt *, Note: * = barely Description: The taste continues as consistently as the nose has announced. Clear, fresh and almost sparkling, the drop settles on the tip of the tongue and immediately ensures a fruit and spice explosion. Again intensive mangoes, lots of sandalwood and a slightly sour sea buckthorn. A noticeable spice unfolds and brings ginger and white pepper into play. On the tongue, an intense tingling sets in, and slowly sweet sweet fruit flavors and a slightly restrained malt taste conquer their place. Peaches mingle with orange oil. Finally, the oak produces a slightly bitter, not unpleasant almond flavor, and behind the ginger mango sandalwood curtain plays pleasant espresso on the piano. What a tasteful score!
      Basic Flavors: Fruit, Spice, Wood, Oils, Coffee (Espresso) Description: The finish is medium to long. Extremely intense sounds the above-described flavor mixture. Mangoes, orange oil, ginger, sandalwood and enigmatic espresso are present in the mouth for several minutes after the last sip.

[February, 2019] This is my first Glendalough and I am curious about it...

...and it is a very strange beast, indeed, Quite unusual aromas and flavours provide an interesting tasting experience but most of these notes are not to my liking (because they taste rather artifical). I strongly suggest to have a sample dram first before buying a full bottle - there is a thin line between love and hate...
      The colour is jonquiripe corn and the nose offers a fruity and wood-driven modern profile with spices and autumn floral notes. The wood smells indeed different to american or european (or caucasian) oak with a minor perfumy note (slightly soapy, but not unpleasantly). Quite an interesting experience but not my favourite style because the fruits vanish quickly and the strange wood gets to dominant.
    • Taste
      The taste is dominated by an artifical fruity flavour that reminds me of fruit gums of my childhood (remember MAOAM?). It is not bad at all but you have to like it (I do not). Besides this there are a lot of bitter nutty (almonds, walnuts and more) and spicy (cloves, nutmegs) flavours. Water releases bready (sourdough) notes in the nose and turns the taste even more bubble-gumish (and flatter). I like the neat dram best.
      The dram arrives warming but not coating on the palate with a somewhat strange artifical mouthfeel that is a combination of plastic and metal elements. The finish is of medium length and adds some sweeter toffee-vanilla flavours that are highly welcomed to sooth the overall bitterness. It gets rather drying-astringent with again these artificial notes of plastic-wrapped metals.

4. dRambo scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

He is fresh - different - the nose is indeed "strange" but exciting - I could deal with that very much - after 4cl it is enough but first - to 60 € that was a good PLV more than 80? in 2018 I will not pay for it
      Soup vegetables with herbs, cinnamon bark, bay leaf, sage, thyme tea, a lot of mint, resinous, waxy rosemary, resinous pine wood, retsina resin, wood oil / varnish, canabis, furniture polish, juicyfruit chewing gum, fruity sour apple and sugar melon, honey-sweet - overripe mango, also mango kernels and peel - overall - fresh, spicy and intense.
    • Taste
      kind of artificial, furniture polish, resin, very spicy, subtle fruit notes, sweet, jelly bananas, while chewing juicyfruit chewing gum, cumin and clove oil, soap, banana, sage, chocolate and coffee - nice smooth texture
      very peppery, spicy, fresh, dry oak - resin and sweetness - medium-long, it creates just like that, if you chew for a while. -Where the resinous wood is very long on the palate.

5. Pollenflug scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Conclusion and pictures on: https://tomtrinkt.de
      The first nose is extremely unusual, exciting and very interesting. I like the aromatic composition right away. For over half an hour, I've devoted myself only to the nose and have gained the following impressions: Exotic fruits (especially peach, pineapple and a little coconut), fresh orange peel, citrus fruits, hints of vanilla and a good portion of honey dominate on the sweet side , Essential oils, fresh resin, plenty of spices (Christmas spirit, perhaps with aniseed, ginger and coriander), hard-to-define herbs, nuts and a very intense and unusual wood note (sandalwood?) Determined the hard side. All flavors together form a wonderfully harmonious nose, which has a tremendously high recognition value. The alcohol is very well integrated.
    • Taste
      Oily and powerful onset. The spices (ginger) and strong wood notes cause a noticeable tingling on the tip of the tongue. The sweet exotic fruits merge with the heavy notes, which have already been hinted at in the nose and underline here also the great characteristics of the malts. Peaches, mangos, pineapple, a hint of coconut, vanilla, caramel and honey flood the palate with essential oils, Christmas spices, herbs, fresh resin and plenty of sandalwood. Citrus fruits make for a slightly sourish sting. Bitter almonds and milk chocolate follow.
      Medium to long, warming and sweet-fruity-spicy. The fruity-sweet notes rear up for the last time and form with the essential oils, spices and strong sandalwood notes a nice finish. The palate produces a slight dryness and delicate bitterness.

6. EinSpatzUnterVielen scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Tasty, tasty and exceptional in terms of flavors. Should you have tasted it when lure an exotic finish. I would like to have it with 3-4 years more in the glass. But you should like sandalwood, because that is very extreme.
      Actually, the first is sandalwood. I know the smell from my long ago tea room time when sandalwood incense candles were totally "in". The first time I smell that at a malt (but I do not know anything about Japanese malts). In addition yellow drupes, sunlit apricots and peaches, and - actually - resin from the peach tree (I had yesterday in a real Chinese dessert, freshly flown ingredients from southern China) as well as lychee, coconut, vanilla, cocoa and freshly baked sponge cake - totally exotic Nose definitely, delicious and exceptional
    • Taste
      oily, warm-spicy, intensive onset, soft, again the very strong sandalwood notes, the peach tree resin, the yellow drupes, peach and lychee, with ginger, cloves and nutmeg, then cocoa, finally some espresso and Darjeeling tea, and also the sponge cake is here
      warm-spicy, medium-long, especially the exotic sandalwood and resin notes remain long, the spices stick felt eternally on the tongue, at the very end comes back to the coconut, along with the sponge cake and the baking cocoa

7. schero scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

He is different, not one hundred percent round, but great.
      Vanilla, mango ice cream, light grapes, spicy oak, grated coconut, peach, a slight touch of ginger, slowly coming through, citrus notes become more dominant, old wall unit, popcorn
    • Taste
      Creamy vanilla, sparkling citrus notes, spicy oak, grape sweetness, lemon zest, the oak spice is slowly becoming bitter
      Oak spicy, vanilla sweet, slightly bitter, creamy on the palate

8. fatalio scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Short question ...
    Am I a shop owner if I like the malt? Where can I pick up my return? At Dramned?

9. Dramned! scored this whisky 81 points Expert Senior

10. Mannix65 scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

a liquid table full milk nut - extremely soft and tasty
      Milk chocolate and nuts, light nougat, red grapes, a hint of cassis, fresh bay leaves, some caraway and anise, yet delicate and elegant
    • Taste
      Chocolate fountain of light milk chocolate, very creamy, nutty, red grape juice with honey, in the background again the laurel
      mild, soft, medium long .... and full of milk chocolate