- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 03 years old
- Oloroso Sherry Finish
- Number of bottles
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 50 ml 700 ml
- Bottle code
- 09/9185 09.244
- Added on
- 10 Sep 2009 7:02 pm
31 × in wishlist
161 × member ratings
785 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Kilchoman 2009 Inaugural Release
21 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.20 points
- Oloroso Sherry Cask matured mossy moist smelling Islay with towering ppfl given age. That said, more than excellent solid-poked SM that starts very soft, almost apologetic, sprinkles some vanilla, then peat hacks in, followed by salt, after which softness returns. The creamy, soft, fairly long finish does the rest. Great, good balance - but not worth 180 euros. Really 87 points.
- Oloroso Sherry Cask matured mossy moist smelling Islay with towering ppfl given age. That said, more than excellent solid-poked SM that starts very soft, almost apologetic, sprinkles some vanilla, then peat hacks in, followed by salt, after which softness returns. The creamy, soft, fairly long finish does the rest. Great, good balance - but not worth 180 euros. Really 86 points. I don't have much experience with Kilchoman yet, but I do get some hype rash from that brand.
- [November, 2009] I had this dram during a Prof. Schobert "Islay" tasting at Bonn.
my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50
- 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 80 points. My notes state an immature profile with some unpleasant cheesy aromas. The taste is quite full-bodied and one can imagine that this becomes a great whisky after more time of maturation (I wrote this end of 2009).
- nice 3 year old islay flavour, but not so balanced. . i like this style peated whisky
- http://smad.se/provningar/Provning%20100%202x100%20%C3%A5r%20Islay.html Test 100: 2x100 Year Islay 100417
The whisky tested: Glass 1 Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist 1990/2008, 46%, 599 kr 20 points
Glass 2 Bowmore 25yo, 43%, 2178 kr 36 points
Glass 3 Bruichladdich 15yo Second Edition, 46%, 469 kr 48 points
Glass 4 Bunnahabhain 34yo / 1968, 43.5%, 2494 kr 105 points
Glass 5 Caol Ila 25yo / 1978, 59.4%, 1499 kr 99 points
Glass 6 Kilchoman Inaugural Release 3yo, 46%, 5449 kr 11 points
Glass 7 Lagavulin 21yo / 1985, 56.5%, 1799 kr 141 points
Glass 8 Laphroaig 30yo Càirdeas, 43%, 5413 kr 148 points
Glass 9 Port Ellen 29yo / 1978 8th Annual Release, 55.3%, 2399 kr 82 points Testimonials Per Eriksson Kilchoman Inaugural Release 3yo, 46%
Scent: Massive smoke, youth, some sweetness
Taste: Smoke, young, spices, soft
Aftertaste: Smoke, spices
Points: 82 Testimonials Bernt Sjödin Kilchoman Inaugural Release 3yo, 46%
Color: Light gold
Scent: Smoky, youthful (but not rancid), turfy
Taste: Smoky, some fruity, a little dried fruit
Aftertaste: Long with smoke and some sweet matone, chocolate
- Well, really nice whisky given the age.
Light smoke, stable, and a slight vegetable note. Some very sweet fruit in the far back.
About the same as the nose, but in a dryer way.
It’s nice, elegant, but there’s not a lot of “umfh” to it. Light peaty notes.