- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Archives (Arc)
- Bottling serie
- The Fishes of Samoa
- Stated Age
- 20 years old
- Bourbon Hogshead
- Number of bottles
- 55.8 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- the Gathering 2017
- Added on
- 08 Nov 2017 1:55 pm by Bachess
34 × in wishlist
76 × member ratings
70 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Clynelish 1997 Arc
18 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.34 points
- Sprightly and untamed on the nose without water, even a touch harsh. A few drops of water, however, transformed things completely, revealing a classic, well-aged Clynelish. Plenty of creamy honey and fruit (orchard and even a hint of some sweeter tropical notes) mingle alongside old leather, paraffin wax, tobacco (pipe) smoke, and some dunnage warehouse notes (metal and wood). Lovely stuff! Peppery and waxy on the palate, with less of the fruits coming through than I had hoped for. Slightly astringent finish.
- Nose 22, taste 22, finish 22, balance 22
Orange, vanilla, honey, smoke, peach, apple and a little tobacco.
Beeswax, smoke, orange, chocolate, apricot and tobacco.
Apricot, apple, wax, caramel, chocolate and smoke.
- Very good example of the classic Clynelish features from the mid-90s. Lovely waxiness combined with wonderful tropical fruits
Opens with beautiful fruity and waxy smells. We are in familiar Clynelish territory. Sandy beaches, fresh slightly unripe yellow fruits (peaches, oranges) and sunflower oil. There is a hint of cleaning spirit, but that is swiftly taken over by more fruits, now reaching tropical spheres. Mango and pineapple are accompanied by paraffin, tiger balm and sunflowers.
My mouth is filled with loads of candle wax (well, that’s does not seem as tasty as it actually is). What I did not expect is the hint of smoke on the palate. Distant bonfires, which are quickly accompanied by mud, branches and salt. Then come the fruits. Lots of orange and mango juice are joining to add some more layers of complexity. They also join into the aftertaste together with the leafy, muddy side.
More from the above.
- A nice dram, all good, like you expect from an aged Clynelish. However nothing special or outstanding notes.
Nice layers of sweet honey, some fruits like apricot.
Creamy full bodied dram, cake, citrus fruit
Lingering on in vanilla, honey and a little ginger
- Tasted it at the 2nd Whiskybase Gathering in Rotterdam, November 2017.
Solid Clynelish, nice citrus and a small waxy bite,
- The final is less to my taste but the general profile is super nice.
Very fruity. Apricot syrup, sweet pear juice Very greedy and integrated. Almond very light.
On the palate the fruity is always very present. Gourmand, coated with wax. We have a classic Clynelish profile but older, wise and framed. It's very pleasant.
Finale hair astreingante on the green wood. Pineapple bark. Wax and lemon. Thyme