Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

87.62/100
Batch 001
Strength
18 Aug 2018 3:32 pm

Whisky Reviews for Malts of Islay - Àlainn 1989 MM

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.62 points

1. Romansen scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

2. alex..w..fan scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

22 20 20 20 82

interesting nose, but then everything is simple and very simple, where is the age indicated on the bottle? sad ...

3. Gaija scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

4. Gaija scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

I adore this honestly, and I reckon I won't be tasting something so atypical for the next 100 drams. Just super super original, and I think I want a bottle now. I just can't give less than 90 to something that has me both "wtf ??" and "wow" at the very same time. Its palate reminded me of the nose (and what I wish the palate the palate would have been) of this Glenisla, totally in the same "wtf" cluster. https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/66915/glenisla-1977-sv
      See jazzpianofingers' intro for the trivia on this peculiar bottling. Its profile is no less atypical. On the nose I mostly get a very nice industrial smoke that feels both very Bowmore and very Laphroaig indeed, with truckloads of black olives, some "good" rubber, salmiak, leather, dates dipped in molten asphalt ... and some discrete red fruit element. Very good so far.
    • Taste
      WTF. The arrival is very very soft, a bit watery, but then there's an incredible development that just screams late-80's Bowmore .... BUT, in a very good way for me. Shooting floral arrows one after the other : smoked violet cordial, rose-scented loukoum, raspberry yoghurt, ... In response to jazzpianofingers' review, and knowing we all have a diffierent sensibility to this, I didn't find it soapy at all. I've got a feeling like we have some pre-conception that just any Bowmore from that era is gonna be soapy : I think that sometimes there might be a confusion between soapy (which this one isn't in my very humble view), and floral (which this one is, tremendously). Just my two cents.
      Rose water, burnt plastic, loukoums. The same kind of UFO. Short, that said.

5. jazzpianofingers scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

It’s always worth popping over to Murray McDavid to speak to Dean. He always has interesting things to impart. Today he introduces us to ‘The Vatting’. A Jim McEwan experiment consisting of 90% Bowmore and 10% Laphroaig, married in a sherry butt sometime between 1997-1999 and bottled years later. Given I was chatting some, my notes are scant.

N: Some egg white, liquid onion peat,…
    T: Soapy hints,.. an odd-ball.
    F: I’m not sold on this though there is a decent malt base here. Cereal black currant on the finish.
    C: Is that soap or TCP? Either way, it’s a bit weird.

Provisionally scores a D[+]

I ended up trying this again the following day. So, take 2:

N: I get the sherry for sure, a touch of smoke, more soapy TCP, meaty plasticine and a strange note that flickers between socks & flowers.
    T: Soapy initially, leading to toasted ashy barley.
    F: Road tar and lots more ash. A ‘dark’ finish.
    C: The Laphroaig [style] is dominant, despite making up only 10% of this blend. Not quite the dog’s proverbials this one.

Scores a C[+]