- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Cask - Batch 1
- Stated Age
- 37 years old
- Oloroso Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 54.8 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 06 Sep 2009 10:04 pm
57 × in wishlist
149 × member ratings
119 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glendronach 1972
17 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.77 points
- An exemplary 1972 sherry cask from Glendronach, but who are we kidding? -- that's like saying that this is a good cask of 1972 Brora -- we already know it's damn awesome. Astoundingly juicy, with lots of cherries, prunes, overripe mandarin oranges, beautiful rancio wine notes, with some cadbury chocolate with guess what, oranges in it! Superb, absolutely superb!
- In my opinion, this GlenDronach 1972 is a lot bolder and more expressive than the 1971, and it really explodes when warmed up to body temperature. A very big and self-confident malt.
The aroma is "darker" than the 1971 from the same series, with more toasted notes. It has a more nutty aroma with more wood influence as well. There are even some farmy / wild mushrooms notes in the background (nothing dirty though). On the whole this 1972 is a bit closer to old bourbon than the 1971, with hints of worn leather and resin. Huge hints of oak polish. Punchy fruit as well, but I would say blueberries and blackberry jam rather than red fruits. Some liquorice. Terrific complexity.
A lot of dried fruits (figs, apricots), strawberry jam and sultanas. Milk chocolate. Even a faint waxiness. Getting drier and slightly tannic towards the finish, but the wood influence is still within the limits.
Long finish, round and slightly tannic again. Chocolate and berries.
- Whiskyauction.com 01-2018 €1.701
Sherry delight! Perfectly matured fruits. Peach. Rum raisins and dades. Oaky. Prunes now. Pear in the end
A lovely and glue-y feel to it. All the above is here. So sweet. Cherry. Jam.
Very long. Delicious. A bit dry development. More jammy. Apricots.
- Whiskyauction.com 04-2017 €1342
- Whiskyauction.com 01-2017 €1415
- Batch 1 contains the following bottles:
1971 cask 483
1972 cask 719
1992 cask 1140
1993 cask 523
1996 cask 193