- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 18 years old
- 60% Sherry and 40 % Bourbon Casks
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 10 Oct 2017 3:18 pm by Ras Mazunga
23 × in wishlist
103 × member ratings
223 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Springbank 18-year-old
26 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.01 points
- Takes the glory of the 10-year-old (88 points in my book) and runs with it, adding sherry and sophistication without sacrificing intensity. Beautifully blended, no off casks, no complaints. Appreciates a drop of water.
- 21 20 21 21 83
Closed nose, burning taste, with the development becomes better, but ....
- As the old batch of 18 (2010) remains as my favourite in memory, it would be hard for any new version to overtake my first love. Dislike this shiny purple label already...N- Vegetal, fresh mushroom, rounded umami, earthy and rustiness whipped in, with recognizable acidic notes that are unique to SB. Well integrated of fresh peach, mineral and sour milk at heart. Nail polish and get more vegetal at tail. Unique style with well rounded peat sphere that remains very old school.
P- Certainly not as aggressive as the 2010, less bites in this one, but were (well) compensated with welcoming sweetness, scents of burning leather and refine waxy bitterness at back palate, whiff of used oil soaked dirty cardboard. Mellow and firm.
F- Medium-long, fresh, sweet minted oak, elegant, full and chewy dry finish.
— at The Whisky Bar, Kuala Lumpur.
- An intense whisky. It used to be smoky once, but now the smoke goes straight to oak. Nose and finish are great, in my mouth he is a bit unspectacular today. Right now I have no comparison to hand, but the 10 is not immature, I think. I like him even better.
Salt, olive oil, fresh apple, mustard seeds, oak, new gravel, fried salmon, mussels
Salty, spicy, oily, olive oil, apple, thick mouthfeel
Coffee, oak, apple, salt, remains dry and fruity long, mustard, pizza dough.
Medium Intensity, flora, citrus, salty tangerine peel, apricot, longan and some creamy, buttery note. Sweet spice like fresh ginger and nutmeg. Nice balance between the sweet peat and the fresh fruitiness.
Soft and oily, waxy mouthfeel. Sweet combine with some bitterness at back.
Medium + finish.
- typical springbank delight, oily, minerally, small smoke, from, the sherry cask some leather and nuts,