- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Warehousemen's Selection
- Stated Age
- 17 years old
- Bourbon, Sherry and Wine Casks
- Number of bottles
- 51.3 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 08 Oct 2017 9:23 pm by Candide
26 × in wishlist
98 × member ratings
294 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bowmore 1999 Craftsmen's Collection
13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.83 points
- A mix between smokey and fruity! Great dram!
- great version. complex, balanced and tasty.
- What a board. He has everything I imagine of a good Islay malt ... smoke, sherry ... yum
- The nose was beautiful, but it goes the extra mile on the palate. Very layered, complex Bowmore. What class! Pity you can only find it at the distillery.
The nose is a surprising panoply of spices. I am reminded of the French Provence. Rosemary, oregano, paprika, thyme… what is this? Then quite a bit of fruit kicks in. Think oranges, strawberry, grapefruit, apricots and mango. Very layered. Some nuts shine through, slowly evolving towards almond paste. A hint of curry ketchup… For a moment, it seemed like this nose was going to go over the top, but it settles fairly quickly and invites you to further discover it. Very nice indeed.
It is creamy on the palate, fruity and sweet (vanilla, apricots, mango, candied oranges) with honey and vanilla and a sour touch from the wine cask. But now it reveals its Islay heritage by adding a lovely trace of woodsmoke and a wonderful smokiness. It makes the mouth go warm and puts your saliva glands in overdrive. Some nutmeg and salt complete the picture. And that is one of great complexity.
On the medium to long finish, some tobacco and leather join in.