81.55/100
Blended Malt
Matthew Gloag & Son Ltd. (MG)
1st Fill Oloroso Sherry Butts
Strength
Label
"Naked" white Label
07 Oct 2017 3:10 pm by Vassago Clynelish
Colored

Whisky Reviews for The Naked Grouse Blended Malt Scotch Whisky

12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.55 points

1. YD84 scored this whisky 84 points Member Senior

2. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 77 points Connoisseur

After spending £400+ in two hours at the Old & Rare Show 2020, I hastily make my way to the Ivy to play & pay for some of the damage. Who would have thought that after 10 years as a resident pianist there, it would potentially be my last, due to the effects of our response to Covid-19! Adriano tests my whisky skills once again with another blind tasting, something I encourage him to do with frequency.

C: I guessed 40%, backed up using Charles Maclean’s ‘beading’ test. I guessed affordable [cheap] & available, and spotted the sherry maturation [finish) – with bourbon underlying. I guessed Scotch. Then I guessed single malt, my first error. I identified a decent enough robust nose and ok arrival, but weak travel and no finish to speak of. That should have told me it was a blend, knowledge I hope to retain for next time. Apparently, this is made up of Macallan & Highland Park amongst other components. It’s also very simple. Feels ideal for travel retail. In the UK, this is around 50% more expensive than Famous Grouse.

3. keba9591 scored this whisky 80 points Expert Junior

4. ldcsh scored this whisky 80 points Expert Junior

5. Whisky Hamster scored this whisky 83 points Member Senior

After the Naked Grouse turned Blended Malt I was always on a lookout for the right opportunity to get one just to see if it was a recommendable entry level dram.
    Finally, with about £30 left in my pockets I bought one at the airport's travel retail section in September '19.
    And I must say I was quite underwhelmed when I tried it for the first couple of times. Some artificial "off" notes turned me off and I regretted my buy a bit. But today, after having sat and breathing for almost 3 months, it's gotten better alright - something I did not really expect form this 40% abv. nas whisky. Now it's the uncomplicated, but not too one-dimensional fun with noticeable sherry-cask influence I wished it to be in the first place. So, take your time with it and be rewarded. :-)

6. diamond2000 scored this whisky 83 points Expert Junior

Fragrance: open, sweet, raisins, vanilla pastries, custard, sweet yeast dough, palatable light salinity, a hint of bark, oak wood chips.

Taste: bright attack of hot spices, sweet-spicy, raisin cake, walnut, sweet coffee with milk, orange liquor.

Finish: medium length, dark raisins, coffee with milk, spicy nutmeg, slightly goes into bitterness.

Rating: 83

Bottom line: very successful whiskey, excellent work of blenders, balanced, without youthfulness, cream and cream. By far the leader in its category of low-cost NAS blended molts. It seems like this is Highland Park and Makalan, but I somehow did not feel the influence of KP ...

7. Brinker scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

Remarkable value for money
      The sherry is quite prominent
    • Taste
      Soft and smooth as the sherry finish rolls in.
      Medium length. Subtle hint of almonds coming through.

8. André scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

Seriously good drink for that money.

9. dr.mad scored this whisky 78 points Expert Senior