Clynelish 12-year-old

88.00/100
Ainslie & Heilbron
c. 1965
Strength
70 (proof)
Label
White label, 26.2/3 fl oz, Short screw cap
26 Aug 2009 6:13 pm

Whisky Reviews for Clynelish 12-year-old

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.00 points

1. lincolnimp did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

I went into the only proper establishment that is for whisky buffs within 100 miles of where I live , been in many times but never noticed this before. A very rare mid 60`s short screw cap bottle of 12 year white label 70 proof, hidden on a really high shelf 3 rows back. Well I had to try it because it may say Clynelish on the label but this whisky was distilled in the mid 1950`s (and is probably the oldest clynelish I will ever taste) but it for me is really a Brora, it was distilled in the Brora stills.

I noticed it was a little cloudy but on first nosing It reminded me of the 1972 Connoisseurs Choice bottles of Brora at 40% only not as potent.

Nose had peat, brine, wax and a little cheese

Palate had some brine, caramel, plum & biscuit but  tasted like it had been watered down, alas the palate had fallen apart and was oxidised, the cloudiness was the giveaway but due to its age I had to give it a go.

If it had been ok I was going to buy the 12-15cl left, we already had a tentative agreement but he ended up withdrawing it and agreed it was a goner.

What a great shame, oh well.

No point rating it or doing a full tasting note as it was well compromised. I had a discussion with the barman because I wanted to try a 1967 Talisker but that was low also and too much of risk.

I took a few pics will try & get them on.

The short screw caps are rare, hence my initial interest.