- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Creative Whisky Company (CWC)
- Bottling serie
- The Exclusive Malts
- Stated Age
- 21 years old
- Refill Sherry Hogshead
- Number of bottles
- 51.1 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 07 Sep 2017 9:18 am by maltaholic
11 × in wishlist
29 × member ratings
31 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Ledaig 1996 CWC
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.22 points
- Absolutely great Ledaig, surprised me again in spite of the already good ratings here, meets my taste very well.
Interesting mix of still noticeable refill sherry with a clear influence and Ledaig, rather little of the typically rough Ledaig smoke and ash, but nice apricot and plum in front, plus a bit of brown cane sugar and a wake with raisins, toffee, forest honey and a hint of frozen smoke, something red apple also backwards away
Quince, plum, nice, warm smoke and burnt autumn leaves, then great old oak, tobacco leaves, apricot, red apple and pomegranate, wonderfully fruity sweetness, allspice and ginger, plum, brown sugar, raisins
There is also something beautifully mineral, plum, apple and plum, rough malt, ginger, mint, medium to long, becoming dry
- Anyone who likes the punch and the typical smoke of the young Ledaigs will find no pleasure in this bottling. However, those who engage in this whisky will be rewarded with a wonderful, complex and balanced enjoyment. I personally like the older, somewhat tamed Ledaigs.
The typical Ledaigrauch is very subtle in this bottling. In the foreground are grassy and mossy aromas. After some time sweet nuances of caramel and sugar cake take over fruity aromas, of oranges, juicy fruit cake and plum jam.
In the taste you notice the whisky his age. On the tip of the tongue medium peppery notes tickle, while on the palate develops a pronounced oak flavor. The sherry influence unfolds completely: prunes, some allspice and gingerbread.
The finish is long and carries notes of coffee chocolate, dark toffee, a well matured sweet sherry and beet syrup.
- Tasted this one together with Cubey during a 'The Creative Whisky Company tasting' organised by Helders in Zoetermeer in October 2017.
- Tasted this one during a The Creative Whisky Company tasting organised by Helders' Drankenspeciaalzaak and led by owner of CWC David Stirk in Zoetermeer in October 2017.
I am quite enthusiastic about (young) dirty Ledaigs, full of glue, rubber and dirty stinky peat, combine this with a thick sherry, and you got me raving... so the expectations were high for this one.
However this one felt a bit too tame, too much of the wild side of the Ledaig was lost, in the nose there was this dirtiness still present, but on the taste it was too bland for me. Not a bad dram, and perhaps superb for others, but this is not how i prefer my Ledaigs.