East of Keith, close to the edge of the Whisky Region Speyside, is the village of Knock. This is the home of the distillery Knockdhu. This distillery has been founded 1893. The whisky production started one year later. The place has been chosen because of the high quality of the water which comes from the Knock Hill in the neighborhood. The name Knockdhu is gaelic and means ‚Black Hill‘.
Until 1960 there has been a horse and a cart used for all transportation tasks at the distillery. They have been replaced by a tractor. 1983 changed the brand name for the whisky from Knockdhu to An Cnoc. An Cnoc means ‚The Hill‘. The name has been changed a avoid confusion with the Whisky Knockando.