Pronounced ben-RO-mac Meaning Shaggy Mountain.
Benromach was constructed at the height of the 1890s whisky boom to the design of the prolific local architect Charles Doig. Production commenced in May 1900. In 1983 Benromach was one of nine distilleries closed by DCL but it was saved from oblivion by Gordon & MacPhail who purchased the site in 1993 and set about reviving the distillery. Although technically a reopened distillery, Benromach is, in essence, a new distillery constructed within the shell of an old one. Benromach is the smallest working distillery on Speyside and is run by just two men, including the manager.
Officially opened 1900 but...
Production didn't start until 1907. Called Forres distillery c1907-19. Closed 1914-18. Mothballed 1931-37. Rebuilt 1966 and the pot stills get steam-heated. Floor-malting stops 1968. Gets modernized 1974. Two pot stills. Mothballed mars 1983 to 1998-10-15. Starts with new equipment.
IV36 3EB Forres, Morayshire