The well-known Springbank distillery is located in the centre of
Campbeltown, in the south of the Mull of Kintyre Peninsula. Longrow used
to be a distillery at the opposite side of the entrance of Springbank
distillery. In fact, the bottling plant of Springbank is located inside
one of the warehouses of the old distillery. This distillery was established in 1824
(before this, it was an illegal distillery) and closed in 1896, as it
seemed that modernizing the old distillery was not feasible at that
In 1973 and 1974, Springbank produced small amounts of a traditional double distilled, Islay-style (peaty) whisky with the intent to use this in blends. This malt turned out particularly well and was marketed under the Longrow brand. In 1987, and from 1989-1991, they continued to produce small amounts of Longrow. From 1992 onwards, Longrow has been produced on a more regular basis.