Whiskybase

Serge/Whiskyfun's request to stop copying his website content-specifically directed at WB!

alectron
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 24-02-2017 at 22:36 pm

Heya.
Here's something everyone on WB, especially Admins & Mods, but also members who did this in the past, and moreso, everyone going against his wishes from now on - should be aware of:

"

Please do not shamelessly and systematically copy-and-paste whole sets of tasting notes and scores to other websites such as Whiskybase or else. That is highly damaging. Thank you mucho. "

So far it was mentioned by a few WB members that this is questionable and morally dodgy at best... but now it's time for Whiskybase to enforce this imo & warn/ban users who do so still - this can only come from the official channels (i.e. Admins & Mods ) though!

Cheers.
c.

Edited on 24-02-2017 at 22:36 pm
Remember - whisky scores and impressions are highly subjective and situational by nature - so don't go and buy whisky according to someone else's taste...
VaryingViewpoint
Moderator Moderator
Posted on 24-02-2017 at 23:00 pm
There should be a pop-up (are something stated) when members want to place a note in WB, something to the effect of "No copy and pasting tasting notes from other websites that have their own reviewers". That's pretty direct and still would allow tasting notes that are provided by the distiller if there are no tasting notes from any WB members.

I noticed when I first signed up on WB there was no statement of decorum that I was to agree to when it comes to such postings in the "notes". It might be time that the admin in WB start getting in front of this in a responsible manner that would allow them to add limits to what WB members are allowed to do on WB if such requests go unheeded.
  Edited on 24-02-2017 at 23:01 pm
One life... Drink it well
Telim tor
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 25-02-2017 at 10:02 am

But even as moderator I am not authorized to change or delete those notes. Maybe this could also be changed (for next WB version)...

Schmausel
Administrator Administrator
Posted on 25-02-2017 at 11:35 am

@Telim tor

you are right , would be a great feature. Also to delete that ridiculous "price in last xx-auction was..."-notes 

Homer Holland
Member Junior Junior Member
Posted on 27-02-2017 at 03:43 am

Sorry, but I have to disagree and I wrote Serge the following:

Dear Serge,

Already for a long time I am BIG fan of yours and your TNs, but I can not agree with the following:

February 24, 2017

Whiskyfun

Please do not shamelessly and systematically copy-and-paste whole sets of tasting notes and scores to other websites such as Whiskybase or else. That is highly damaging. Thank you mucho. 

I can guess why you wrote this, but am very happy if someone has taken the trouble to put your very valuable TN on Whiskybase (Wb), since it saves me a lot of trouble and time, when researching a whisky.

Actually, I think it might be a very good idea to couple/connect your website, your TNs to Wb, like f.i. many wine sites are doing with CellarTracker!.

I hope you like this idea and that you and Wb will work on this coupling of both the websites.

Kindest regards,

My Collection My Market
thebase
Super Administrator Super Administrator
Posted on 28-02-2017 at 19:31 pm

We have decided to remove this from the database and doing this in a quicker way then 1 by 1.
I have reached out to several members who account for almost 70% of the total: serge says... notes.

Some of them removed them already others will get the time to do this in the next days. After that it will be done through a few queries.

A technical solution will be put on the roadmap but it will take some time. It could also be a fun repsonse; are you serge? Or something similair if we recognize some name in the pasted text.

For the auction notes; that is already on the roadmap and will be removed and replaced with something else.

karuizawa_fans
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 16-05-2017 at 01:39 am

Great idea!

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2021

Forgot your password?

Login