Whiskybase
Badge

Whisky talk

Everything about whiskies

Winter is here.

Bart&Claudia
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 01-10-2018 at 17:46 pm

So, who's collecting the Diageo Game of Thrones' bottlings? 

House of Baratheon – Royal Lochnagar – 12 yo – 40%

House of Greyjoy – Talisker – Select Reserve – 45.8%

House of Lannister – Lagavulin – 9 yo, 46%

House of Stark – Dalwhinnie – Winter’s Frost – 43%

House of Targaryen – Cardhu – Gold Reserve – 40%

House of Tully – The Singleton – Glendullan Select – 40%

House of Tyrell – Clynelish – Reserve – 51.2%

The Night’s Watch – Oban – Bay Reserve – 43%

The Laga and Clynelish seem interesting. But...  what genius thought it a good idea to have 'The Gentle Spirit' represent the House of Stark?! Seven hells. 

Edited on 01-10-2018 at 17:46 pm
rjp
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 01-10-2018 at 22:29 pm

I’d hope to try one or two, but we’ve got a wait haven’t we until Feb 19? 

Like the idea of the JW where the bottle changes colour/design depending on temperature.

morgbug
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 02-10-2018 at 03:25 am

The Lagavulin does seem interesting: age statement, decent strength.  

Aren't these just re-naming of some of the standard NAS bottlings on offer already:

Bay Reserve =  The Night's Watch = Little Bay?

Gold Reserve = House of Targaryen = Gold Reserve (uh...)

Winter's Frost = House of Stark = Winter's Frost?

I mean I wouldn't buy those anyway as a bunch of (IMO) substandard NAS releases so why would I spend money just because it has GoT on it?  Oh, right. Marketing.  Ignore the man behind the curtain.  

Slàinte Mhath
Administrator Administrator
Posted on 02-10-2018 at 06:47 am
I do like Game of Thrones and I do like whisky - but having a marketing department using the one to promote selling the other is putting me off. The two are completely unrelated (or did I miss something - did Tyrion drink whisky instead of wine?), and using a fancy GoT label on a bottle of Single Malt does not make it a better spirit. Just my 2 cents.

-Slainte
  Edited on 02-10-2018 at 06:49 am
“There is no such thing as bad whisky. Some whiskies just happen to be better than others.” (W. Faulkner)
Bart&Claudia
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 02-10-2018 at 11:34 am
I do like Game of Thrones and I do like whisky - but having a marketing department using the one to promote selling the other is putting me off. The two are completely unrelated (or did I miss something - did Tyrion drink whisky instead of wine?), and using a fancy GoT label on a bottle of Single Malt does not make it a better spirit. Just my 2 cents.

-Slainte

I agree with both of you. My interest goes out to Lagavulin and Clynelish only, being reliable with their output. The GoT theme is just a bit of fun.. but I imagine for the collectors this line-up is a prime target.

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login