Whiskybase
Badge

Whisky talk

Everything about whiskies

Lamenting older bottles

Ganga
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 28-09-2018 at 08:57 am

Tonight I found an open bottle of Laphroaig 10 CS red stripe.  It's been open for around 6 years.  It shows many of the flavors in the Batch 1 through 9 (I have owned many and tried most).  However, it is far more balanced than the batch versions.  More integrated if you will and the flavors seem richer (hey, I tried 5 and 9 about a week ago so it isn't just memory).

My follow up was Laga 16 from about 10 years ago.  More sweet, richer.  

So, my question to you (and myself) is whether we are in down years of quality or do I just favor older vintages?

lincolnimp
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 28-09-2018 at 09:39 am

I agree about the Laga 16 being sweeter, the old White Horse Bottles offer a different teste experience but we are going back more than 10 years

Talisker 10 is another one that seems to have fallen by the way side.

Sometimes I ask myself if it is just because 10 years have passed and so many different whiskies that not only has the whisky changed but my perceptions and general viewpoint also, I think that also affects how you view whisky generally.

Edited on 28-09-2018 at 09:41 am
mrgood
Posted on 28-09-2018 at 16:56 pm

I wonder how much this has to do with the age/quality of the whisky going in to it.  Back in the good ole days they often propped up younger age-statements with a bit of old stock or an exceptional cask.  These days older stock is rarer (given how many distilleries had a severe shortage problem around the turn of the century) and more valuable so I suspect the old policy of bumping the younger whisky up a few notches using more refined whisky is very rarely implemented now.

lincolnimp
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 29-09-2018 at 10:37 am
mrgood wrote:

I wonder how much this has to do with the age/quality of the whisky going in to it.  Back in the good ole days they often propped up younger age-statements with a bit of old stock or an exceptional cask.  These days older stock is rarer (given how many distilleries had a severe shortage problem around the turn of the century) and more valuable so I suspect the old policy of bumping the younger whisky up a few notches using more refined whisky is very rarely implemented now.

Agreed, they could spare a few  older casks back in the day, now they will probably be single cask offerings.

Ganga
Posted on 30-09-2018 at 00:01 am

So maybe it is a composite of all these elements.  

1. Changing production 

2. No longer propping the bottlings

3. changes in our perceptions 

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login