Whiskybase
Badge

Whisky talk

Everything about whiskies

Shipping Whisky to the EU from the UK

tomjcollins85
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 13-08-2018 at 12:55 pm

UK friends! I did not realise how difficult this was going to be, but I am having a nightmare trying to find a courier who will accept whisky for a delivery between the UK and Germany.

There are various services who allow for wine's and lower ABV drinks, but an hour of searching today turned up zero options for the stronger stuff!!!!

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with this?

holborndrinker
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 13-08-2018 at 13:15 pm

DHL have always seemed fine in the past - have managed to get a few bottles delivered in the past with no issues.

Nunc est bibendum - mine's a double!
tomjcollins85
Posted on 13-08-2018 at 13:17 pm

Thanks holborndrinker - out of interest, do you accurately describe the contents? I've seen lots of articles where people simply list the contents as 'wine' or 'collectables', but I'd rather do things properly.

Edited on 13-08-2018 at 13:21 pm
lincolnimp
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 13-08-2018 at 14:31 pm

Hi, DHL as far as I am aware no longer allow you to ship strong spirits , they changed the rules overnight and to be honest they were not cheap anyway.

You can however use a subsidiary of DHL and UK mail called Ipostparcels, you can post to Germany with them but with conditions.

You cannot insure against loss or breakage basically it is at your own risk as generally they do not post glass or liquids so you need to ensure the package is bullet proof.

To put your mind at rest I have posted loads of parcels to Germany, Holland, France etc over the last 3 years and all bar one got there and the one that did not was returned to me in good order with a refund, on the re post it got there ok

I always am up front about the contents by the way.

https://www.ipostparcels.com/

tomjcollins85
Posted on 13-08-2018 at 14:40 pm

Excellent, thank you for your help!

ajdedwards
Posted on 14-08-2018 at 10:02 am

I remember going into a shipping store for the first time and asking to send a bottle of Glenlivet to Austria.  I was quoted nearly £60!  

Instead I always use the site below.  

https://www.parcel2go.com/

It always says that you can't send alcohol but I've not had a problem to date from about 20 shipments.  I usually label mine as 'delicate collectible' or 'precious antique'.

Obviously it's a bit naughty and you are taking a chance but it's been alright for me so far.

ajdedwards My Market
You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login