Whiskybase
Badge

Whisky talk

Everything about whiskies

Top 5 overrated distilleries.

Thermidor
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 15-02-2018 at 21:21 pm

The worst offenders of the business have been mentioned in the first post already, so I'll toss in a few others:

Japanese whisky in general: Insane levels of hype and completely unbelievable prices for something that at its very best is just as good as Scotch. 

Glenmorangie: The blandest of the bland wood cocktails. I think there are sea cucumbers with more personality.

Alrik: https://www.whiskybase.com/search?q=alrik : This seems to be the literal definition of overrated here at Whiskybase. Some sort of teutonic mass psychosis perhaps, with people giving mad rates to a NAS whisky in some rather unlikely casks. It would be nice to find out what's going on there, but at the quoted prices I'll pass.


BXpress
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 15-02-2018 at 23:21 pm
karloff wrote:

No doubt on Macallan and Dalmore in that order on top here as well.

But for my third I think I will venture outside of Scotland.

A few Japanese spring to mind, but Taiwanese Kavalan surfs in at 3rd on my list.

The core range is all NAS, bland at best, and overpriced.

The CS SC Solists are novelties at best, and to add insult to injury; over rated and priced at silly money for what it is.


I was at my local whisky shop looking around and the bloke in the shop said are you looking for anything in particular?  I said no not really, just looking for something a bit different . He said have you tried Taiwan whisky Kavalan?  I said YES. It must have been the look on my face because he swiftly moved on to something else. 

I blame some kind of weeaboo syndrome for this whole Asian hype. I tried Solist Sherry years ago and it was quite good. Then tried the Bourbon cask version. Pure shite. Just young, hot Whisky and nothing else. Everything can be made "sexy" by a good dose of Sherry influence. And i don't know what it is with people, even respected commenters like the Ralf trying to push international disitilleries like something "worth trying", and "don't be narrow minded". To be honest i couldn't give less of a fuck if i tried. You know these people and their "Oh but this Guatemalan micro distillery can be just as good as Scotch" really sound like hipsters who listen to horrible music just to prove how individual(lol) they are. Sorry for the rant.

lincolnimp
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 16-02-2018 at 00:42 am
BXpress wrote:
karloff wrote:

No doubt on Macallan and Dalmore in that order on top here as well.

But for my third I think I will venture outside of Scotland.

A few Japanese spring to mind, but Taiwanese Kavalan surfs in at 3rd on my list.

The core range is all NAS, bland at best, and overpriced.

The CS SC Solists are novelties at best, and to add insult to injury; over rated and priced at silly money for what it is.


I was at my local whisky shop looking around and the bloke in the shop said are you looking for anything in particular?  I said no not really, just looking for something a bit different . He said have you tried Taiwan whisky Kavalan?  I said YES. It must have been the look on my face because he swiftly moved on to something else. 

I blame some kind of weeaboo syndrome for this whole Asian hype. I tried Solist Sherry years ago and it was quite good. Then tried the Bourbon cask version. Pure shite. Just young, hot Whisky and nothing else. Everything can be made "sexy" by a good dose of Sherry influence. And i don't know what it is with people, even respected commenters like the Ralf trying to push international disitilleries like something "worth trying", and "don't be narrow minded". To be honest i couldn't give less of a fuck if i tried. You know these people and their "Oh but this Guatemalan micro distillery can be just as good as Scotch" really sound like hipsters who listen to horrible music just to prove how individual(lol) they are. Sorry for the rant.


No don`t apologise, bring it on BXpress, we need more of this on the forum happy

  Edited on 16-02-2018 at 00:43 am
BXpress
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 16-02-2018 at 10:52 am
BXpress wrote:
karloff wrote:

No doubt on Macallan and Dalmore in that order on top here as well.

But for my third I think I will venture outside of Scotland.

A few Japanese spring to mind, but Taiwanese Kavalan surfs in at 3rd on my list.

The core range is all NAS, bland at best, and overpriced.

The CS SC Solists are novelties at best, and to add insult to injury; over rated and priced at silly money for what it is.


I was at my local whisky shop looking around and the bloke in the shop said are you looking for anything in particular?  I said no not really, just looking for something a bit different . He said have you tried Taiwan whisky Kavalan?  I said YES. It must have been the look on my face because he swiftly moved on to something else. 

I blame some kind of weeaboo syndrome for this whole Asian hype. I tried Solist Sherry years ago and it was quite good. Then tried the Bourbon cask version. Pure shite. Just young, hot Whisky and nothing else. Everything can be made "sexy" by a good dose of Sherry influence. And i don't know what it is with people, even respected commenters like the Ralf trying to push international disitilleries like something "worth trying", and "don't be narrow minded". To be honest i couldn't give less of a fuck if i tried. You know these people and their "Oh but this Guatemalan micro distillery can be just as good as Scotch" really sound like hipsters who listen to horrible music just to prove how individual(lol) they are. Sorry for the rant.


No don`t apologise, bring it on BXpress, we need more of this on the forum happy

I apologize only for ranting, not for the content of my rant.

Ganga
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 17-02-2018 at 07:21 am

ARDBEG - The quality of the core range has gone down and for the most part the Day releases are garbage.  The 21 and Twenty-something really were not that good all things considered.  They're living on the past glories established through about 2009.  That said, the Ten still offers decent value even if it is not as good as 10 years ago.


MACALLAN - I used to be a huge fan.  The 12 has returned but the rest of their range is either way overpriced or basically not that good.  I had the Rare Cask and I'd rather drink the 12.  The 18 still has not returned in quality either.  


HIGHLAND PARK - I still like the 12 yo but the rest of it is not nearly as good as it used to be and like the former two has gone way up in price.  Similar to Macallan, there are a lot of gimmicks going on.


DALMORE - I used to love this distillery.  Now I loathe it.  It's like they found a bunch of subpar sherry casks and decided to get rid of them by upping the sherry content in the 12 yo.  Give me the 12 yo from 15 years ago instead.  


SPRINGBANK - Yes, I said it.  I just had the new 25 and it was very bland.  The 12 CS is much better.  Still, there is all this living on the glories that were Pre-2002.  I do think some of the younger Springbanks are making a comeback but they hype the 18 and the 25 placing themselves right there with the others mentioned here.


Port Ellen and Brora are hard to put here because much of the hype is around it's scarcity and not quality.  Who's tried any of the recent releases?  Same with Rosebank and St. Magdalene.  

Rien
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 20-02-2018 at 15:39 pm

Dalmore, Macallan and Balvenie; overhyped, overpriced quality / ratio

Ardbeg and Highland Park; lame marketing stories do not match quality price / ratio

My Collection
crazyji
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 20-02-2018 at 20:06 pm

It's my belief Ardbeg will eventually run into big issues with their NAS line. At some point, there will be a tipping point as more and more people demand transparency. I wouldn't call them overrated though, as their whisky's are still some of the best peated whisky's, in my opinion. Especially their recent twenty one and twenty something. Both phenomenal. 

Ganga
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 22-02-2018 at 00:29 am
crazyji wrote:

It's my belief Ardbeg will eventually run into big issues with their NAS line. At some point, there will be a tipping point as more and more people demand transparency. I wouldn't call them overrated though, as their whisky's are still some of the best peated whisky's, in my opinion. Especially their recent twenty one and twenty something. Both phenomenal. 


Yeah, I'm gonna disagree on the 21.  It is ok, but not phenomenal.  I've had the Provenance and many other 1970s distillates.  The 21 is about as far behind those as a high school team is behind the NBA.

sexywhisky
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 06-03-2020 at 22:36 pm

Due to the recent trend because of the Blaaack, I would say Ardbeg. I sampled this dram myself and I don't feel it special. Even the original price of EUR 118 (including shipping fee) is not justified.

dram_on
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 07-03-2020 at 03:08 am

Off the top of my head, the worst is Kavalan and in the recent past, Macallan.

ian63david
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 07-03-2020 at 05:16 am
BXpress wrote:

Glendronach. As an anti-Sherry extremist i simply find them uninteresting. They are the kings of "let's play it safe". Idiot proof super dark Sherry bombs. The ones i had, i sent to auction long ago and when they start releasing refill single casks I might buy one again. I only kept the Revival as i find it not too dark.

Laphroaig. The undisputed God Emperor of one trick ponyism. Bomb your Whisky with peat and claim to produce the "most flavoursome Whisky" in the world. Tell you what, i bomb my coffee with sugar, and i rightfully claim to make the sweetest coffee in the world. Big achievement isn't it? I bought the new 15 (oddly enough, it's not all that super peaty which is good), the 10 CS in 2014 for 69 Euro and that's it. Might send this one to auction too.


Whilst I cannot agree with Glendronach (as a pro sherry extremest)  Hilarious comments non Laphroaig on which I totally agree.

karloo
Newbie Newbie
Posted on 07-03-2020 at 09:39 am

ian63david wrote:

BXpress wrote:

Glendronach. As an anti-Sherry extremist i simply find them uninteresting. They are the kings of "let's play it safe". Idiot proof super dark Sherry bombs. The ones i had, i sent to auction long ago and when they start releasing refill single casks I might buy one again. I only kept the Revival as i find it not too dark.

Laphroaig. The undisputed God Emperor of one trick ponyism. Bomb your Whisky with peat and claim to produce the "most flavoursome Whisky" in the world. Tell you what, i bomb my coffee with sugar, and i rightfully claim to make the sweetest coffee in the world. Big achievement isn't it? I bought the new 15 (oddly enough, it's not all that super peaty which is good), the 10 CS in 2014 for 69 Euro and that's it. Might send this one to auction too.


Whilst I cannot agree with Glendronach (as a pro sherry extremest)  Hilarious comments non Laphroaig on which I totally agree.

Laphroaig 15 and 18 green tubes are one of the most elegant commercial peated whiskies.  There was one version from Hart Bros. 18 yo Laphroaig more elegant than official bottling, but that was a long time ago.

I'm not a big fan of sherry whiskies too unless is fino sherry, which is not overpowering.  

dram_on
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 08-03-2020 at 04:10 am

I agree on what others have said about over-sherried whiskies, Glendronach is definitely guilty of this. However, everyone likes different profiles...

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  




Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018


Forgot your password?

Login