Whiskybase
Badge

Whisky talk

Everything about whiskies

Johnnie Gold?

whiskgeek
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 23-01-2018 at 03:43 am

Is anyone familiar with the recent Johnnie Walker Gold Label, and how in compares with the old version, from several years ago?

A few years back, they changed things up - they released Platinum, and I thought they changed the nature of the existing Gold. Is the new Gold different from the old one?

morgbug
Posted on 23-01-2018 at 04:23 am

Not available in my market yet so the only things I can tell you is a re-iteration of what you said:

Discontinued JW Gold Label 18 and introduced Platinum 18 with a hefty price increase.  JW Gold Label Reserve without an age statement was released at the same price point as the old JW Gold 18.  Now JW Gold has an age statement again.  

Like you, interested to see, though again I worry price has been jacked up again with addition of the age statement.  

Edited on 23-01-2018 at 04:25 am
lincolnimp
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 23-01-2018 at 10:03 am

If the past bottlings are anything to go by I would not hold my breath, the Platinum in 2016 was not very good and the latest offerings of blue label are a pale imitation of what blue label built its reputation on.

The only good thing is that JW Green is back and thankfully its not too bad either.

morgbug
Posted on 23-01-2018 at 23:22 pm

If the past bottlings are anything to go by I would not hold my breath, the Platinum in 2016 was not very good and the latest offerings of blue label are a pale imitation of what blue label built its reputation on.

The only good thing is that JW Green is back and thankfully its not too bad either.

Is Green still going?  I know we have it locally but it seems like the stocks are really down, so I was wondering if it was disappearing again.  Not trying to start any rumors, just curious.  

morgbug
Posted on 23-01-2018 at 23:23 pm

Is Green still going?  I know we have it locally but it seems like the stocks are really down, so I was wondering if it was disappearing again.  Not trying to start any rumors, just curious.  

lincolnimp
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 24-01-2018 at 09:11 am

JW Green is still available in UK for around £40, some supermarkets are stocking it.

karloo
Newbie Newbie
Posted on 24-01-2018 at 11:48 am

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/51633/johnnie-walker-gold-label

For me the best version of Gold Label. Apparently, there is a big percentage of Clynelish inside. The interesting thing about this bottle is the recommendation to put in the freezer.  Funny thing it's working. I guess that cold enhance Clynelish and whisky become not syrupy, it becomes waxy. 

I am weak on whiskies with adjectives: buttery, syrupy, oily and waxy. That kind of body is something I really appreciate. 

There is some sulphury note at the beginning, but it will go away after a couple of minutes.

cheers 

Edited on 24-01-2018 at 11:54 am
whiskgeek
Posted on 26-01-2018 at 04:48 am

My old bottle was from 2011. It's almost gone. I picked up a new one. It feels younger. Mainly because it's got a noticeable  though light aroma of young peat. That is, that butterscotchy or grassy thing you commonly get in sub-10y peated whiskies.

Interesting that my old bottle still tasted good after more than six years. I had a bottle Swing that went bad (oxidized in the bottle) in less than a month.

I'm disappointed because I had planned on including it at a food pairings tasting. The older version went beautifully with chocolate. Possibly the best pairing ever, it made the chocolate explode in your mouth. This one has completely lost that characteristic. I had heard that the higher-end Johnnies were very consistent over the years. Not so with this one.

erikrobb
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 28-01-2018 at 16:15 pm

http://s272.photobucket.com/user/erikrobb/media/Whisky/Johnnie%202.jpg.html

http://s272.photobucket.com/user/erikrobb/media/Whisky/Johnnie%201.jpg.html

Here are photos of the versions of Johnnie Green I've gotten in Minnesota over the last few years. They are all 43% except the Gold is 40%. 

From left to right 2 older bottles of Johnnie Green, a 750ml and 1000ml that are the older bottle prior to it being discontinued in 2012-2013?... the middle bottle is the 10th anniversary bottle released in 2015, no cork but has a plastic twist off cap with a jigger device in the neck, next is the newer bottle of Green I found in 2017. It seems to be the new "regular release" of green with a cork again and is the same bottle as the older style Johnnie Gold 18 year on the right. I don't have a bottle of the newer Johnnie gold to compare and I've not tried this newer Green yet. If I ever get a group of scotch drinkers together for a tasting I'll open all 3 to compare the versions head to head and same for Johnnie Gold.  

Erik
louich
Posted on 30-01-2018 at 21:18 pm

old JW gold = actual JW  platinum

The new green is about what it was but there was something a bit more about the older version ( but maybe it's just me.,..)

Drinking alcohol wont solve my problems, but neither will milk !
You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login