Whiskybase
Badge

Whisky talk

Everything about whiskies

Macallan Age statement

BenNevis
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 26-11-2017 at 18:44 pm

Macallan have stopped production of Ruby and plan to stop Gold, Amber and Sienna next summer and return to Age statement again. Sherry oak 12, 18, 25 and 30 and fine oak 10, 12, 15, 17, 18, 21, 25 and 30 will be the core range. It could be that they have more stock now or the nas bottles didn't go as well as they thought.

I saw somewhere else that they were stopping the 21 and 30yo fine oak for the time being. 

Signature Picture
whiskystore
Posted on 26-11-2017 at 19:18 pm

For me MacAllan is " sherry cask " all the best expressions/editions is sherry cask matured, those  we bought in the 80´s 90´s and early 2000 is never coming back, i think the fine oak series was disappointing and also for the distillery.

If this is true i welcome it and hope for some fine sherrycask bottlings of different ages in the future, i´ll think think 10.12 and 18 will sell well.

whiskystore
mrgood
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 27-11-2017 at 00:29 am

I'll drink to this prospect.  Macallan needs to start getting it's reputation back on track.  It's been on the slide since the 1824 series started... or did the slide start with the Fine Oak range...

" It could be that they have more stock now or the nas bottles didn't go as well as they thought."

Probably a bit of both.

Ganga
Posted on 27-11-2017 at 01:01 am

slide was underway before fine oak.  I tried the Rare Cask a few weeks ago and that was very thin for the sherry.

VaryingViewpoint
Posted on 27-11-2017 at 07:14 am

I would not expect much from these "New" age statement releases. Personally I think it's nothing but a gimmick on their part to raise prices again. After all, with all those NAS release over the last 3-4  years at inflated prices, their primed customer base will surly pay more for age statement release thinking that the quality will be of old (pre Edrington era). For get it!

Macallan's shenanigans are already upon us. The "Macallan Classic Cut" https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/102106/macallan-classic-cut which looks almost exactly like the Macallan Cask Strength NAS releases before they discontinued them about 4 or 5 years ago. The Macallan Classic Cut is NOT cask strength. It says nothing of the sort on the box or label, but yet someone assumed it is and it states it here on WB as such. Also on the label it states "seasoned sherry casks"? Can anyone explain what a seasoned sherry cask is? I'm assuming that sherry is pored into a cask and sits for a week, a month? Who knows? 

Ever since Edrington took over Macallan their entire age statement range was compromised with more 2nd and possibly 3rd fill with much less 1st fill on their releases. Anyone looking for the Macallan of old that garnered such praise need to look for "Remy Cointreau, USA, INC, New York, NY" on the label. 

Don't assume that Macallan (Edrington) have learnt their lesson in their experiment of their NAS Rainbow Colour line. They are offering "fools liquid gold" of old.

Edited on 27-11-2017 at 13:55 pm
One life... Drink it well
lincolnimp
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 27-11-2017 at 09:39 am

Is it purely the reputation of old, that people flock to Macallan or just the wannabe status part?

Do people think that if they tell others they drink Macallan other people will think they know about whisky and be impressed?

Macallan and Dalmore of today are rubbish yet both of them attract vast acclaim, I for one cannot figure it. Macallan of old was excellent but we are going back to stuff from decades ago and Dalmore, well lets just leave it there as I refused to pay the silly Dalmore prices.

BXpress
Posted on 27-11-2017 at 10:05 am

Is it purely the reputation of old, that people flock to Macallan or just the wannabe status part?

Do people think that if they tell others they drink Macallan other people will think they know about whisky and be impressed?

Macallan and Dalmore of today are rubbish yet both of them attract vast acclaim, I for one cannot figure it. Macallan of old was excellent but we are going back to stuff from decades ago and Dalmore, well lets just leave it there as I refused to pay the silly Dalmore prices.

I find Dalmore to be a spirit of high potential but they're not doing anything with it and if they do they want your blood for it. Would love to try the 25 but the price is on a dead Distillery level (not that dead distilleries are all awesome by default). No thanks.

lincolnimp
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 27-11-2017 at 10:15 am

BXpress wrote:

lincolnimp wrote:

I find Dalmore to be a spirit of high potential but they're not doing anything with it and if they do they want your blood for it. Would love to try the 25 but the price is on a dead Distillery level (not that dead distilleries are all awesome by default). No thanks.

Is the 25 a real jump up in class because the age statements preceding that one are all very tame?

BXpress
Posted on 27-11-2017 at 10:23 am

BXpress wrote:

lincolnimp wrote:

Is the 25 a real jump up in class because the age statements preceding that one are all very tame?

As i said i haven't tasted it yet, reviews on that one indicate that it is a decent and refined Whisky. Poeple love to bash Dalmore and i thought if they praise the 25 it must be really good. Sample at MoM cost 63 Euros (for 3cl) so no thanks again.

mrgood
Posted on 27-11-2017 at 17:20 pm

Does anyone have a link or official confirmation of this, or is it still in the realm of innuendo?  I've been hoarding various age-statement Macallans ever since word of the ill-advised colour range first started to circulate.  I'm so enthused at the possible end of that foolish venture I'm tempted to crack one of those old Macs to celebrate... but I find myself thinking "I'll believe it when I see it".  

Bah, maybe I'll crack one anyway.  Then I can invite a bunch of the uninitiated over and show them what a fancy-pants I am.  happy

Edited on 27-11-2017 at 17:25 pm
Ganga
Posted on 10-12-2017 at 01:11 am

Crack it, enjoy it.

I had most of the Mac 18s from 1971 vintage through 1994 vintage (think I'm missing 1 or 2 only).  There is variability and the worst wer 1981 through 1985.

Macallan can still be good but it isn't in the NAS releases.

whiskystore
Posted on 10-12-2017 at 02:20 am

As i said before, for me McAllan is sherry cask matured whisky, the new shit is awful, no not awful but considerably inferior then the 70´s series, the gran reservas the 18 yo, wow smacking whiskies, one of the best beside Springbank at that time, MacAllan is never coming back to the old glory, the economic people has ruined the business, be aware of the fakes, try the old ones and enjoy.

whiskystore
You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login