Whiskybase
Badge

Whisky talk

Everything about whiskies

The new Johnnie Walker Green

erikrobb
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 11-03-2015 at 22:53 pm

A warning to those in the United States- I noticed 1 store had Johnnie Green 15 year again and got 2 bottles thinking it was some strange bit of luck that I located them. Got home and found they no longer have a cork but are a twist off cap and the bottle is slightly different shape- slightly longer neck. And unfortunately it's not nearly as good as the old bottling that sold out a couple of years ago. In fact I probably give it a score in the high 70's. I'll try it a few times to be sure but my first try was disappointing.

Erik
oscarswanson
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 11-03-2015 at 23:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up Erik. I did hear that a limited release of the green was on some store shelves. I did not hear it was different in anyway. you just saved me about $140.00.
I hate it when companies do this type of thing. Obvious case of bait & switch.

Offically retired My Collection
D. T.
Posted on 12-03-2015 at 00:18 am

HUP HUP Holland ... http://drankdozijn.nl/artikel/fles-johnnie-walker-green-label-1ltr 84,95 Euro. Back in store and it seems to be with a cork ... (not 100% sure though, better send them an e-mail for info). Cheers, D.

Whisky Hamster
Posted on 12-03-2015 at 15:51 pm

JW Green sure was an occasional fun thing for roughly €35 per 0.7l bottle... XD
Let's just say I have my suspicions that there are better things out there for 85 eurobucks a litre.

With regards to the suspected decrease in quality, it sounds a bit like "twice the price for half the fun". But I am open to correction.

Edited on 12-03-2015 at 15:57 pm
Oh Laphroaig, where art thou?
BabyHuey206
Posted on 18-03-2015 at 14:42 pm

Interesting to see.  I've only heard from people who thought it was in the same league as before.  I hope I'll see some blind head-to-head tastings.

Also, in the US I've seen it priced around $60 for a 750 ml.  The labels are slightly different from the older version as well.
erikrobb
Posted on 18-03-2015 at 21:29 pm

I'll get it added to WB soon but I don't know when it was bottled. I guess I could said it's "new bottling 2014" or something and get the picture up. I paid $60 per bottle. I saw it in one other store for $68. Good thing they changed the cork to a twist off cap so it's easy to identify the one not to buy. I don't think it's awful but I really liked the old green and this one is more bland and something about it seems really off to me. Maybe others will like it better than I do.

Erik
morgbug
Posted on 19-03-2015 at 03:56 am
BabyHuey206 wrote:

Interesting to see.  I've only heard from people who thought it was in the same league as before.  I hope I'll see some blind head-to-head tastings.

Also, in the US I've seen it priced around $60 for a 750 ml.  The labels are slightly different from the older version as well.

I'm waiting for a buddy to come over.  I have maybe 6 oz (~150 ml) of an old bottle of JW Green to try.  It's obviously going to be a little different because it's been sitting in a 3/4 empty bottle but I'm thinking there's enough for a head to head comparison anyway as I picked up a new bottle.  

If it ends up being really different, I'll be pretty sad.  No chance for me to find the original locally at all and my usual American haunts are all out as well.  Bummer.  
erikrobb
Posted on 19-03-2015 at 05:46 am

Today a coworker pointed me to a small town liquor store that he said has some older scotch. It wasn't too far of a drive and I was very happy to find a Macallan Cask strength and a 1 liter bottle of the old Johnnie green. They are still out there. I haven't seen either of those in almost a year but I think I need to drive out to more of the smaller towns outside of the metro. I don't want to open this new bottle I have. See if I can find another so I can open it. They also have 2 of the old style bottle of Highland Park 18. That has been retired for a while now. Did that bottle change about 9 years ago I think?

Erik
pierrethesnack
Posted on 19-03-2015 at 14:02 pm
morgbug wrote:
BabyHuey206 wrote:

I'm waiting for a buddy to come over.  I have maybe 6 oz (~150 ml) of an old bottle of JW Green to try.  It's obviously going to be a little different because it's been sitting in a 3/4 empty bottle but I'm thinking there's enough for a head to head comparison anyway as I picked up a new bottle.  

If it ends up being really different, I'll be pretty sad.  No chance for me to find the original locally at all and my usual American haunts are all out as well.  Bummer.  

Be sure to let us know how it goes!

morgbug
Posted on 21-03-2015 at 05:22 am
erikrobb wrote:

Today a coworker pointed me to a small town liquor store that he said has some older scotch. It wasn't too far of a drive and I was very happy to find a Macallan Cask strength and a 1 liter bottle of the old Johnnie green. They are still out there. I haven't seen either of those in almost a year but I think I need to drive out to more of the smaller towns outside of the metro. I don't want to open this new bottle I have. See if I can find another so I can open it. They also have 2 of the old style bottle of Highland Park 18. That has been retired for a while now. Did that bottle change about 9 years ago I think?

Damn.  I'd have been thrilled with those finds.  Nice work.  

pierrethesnack, will definitely post a mini-review here for all.  
Superplatinium
Newbie Newbie
Posted on 09-10-2018 at 21:41 pm

Which year did the new release came out?

ajdedwards
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 10-10-2018 at 11:25 am

It has been available again in the UK for around 3 years.  Often discounted to £30 as well.  It is a regular on my shelf.

ajdedwards My Market
Tom03
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 11-10-2018 at 00:28 am

How the bottle evolved over the years...

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/53350/johnnie-walker-15-year-old

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/18352/johnnie-walker-green-label

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/69057/johnnie-walker-green-label

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login