Whiskybase
Badge

Whisky talk

Everything about whiskies

Recently discontinued whisky

Jewfrodo
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 06-01-2015 at 21:41 pm

I recently bought a bottle of Bruichladdich laddie ten and Ardmore cask strength. 

Being new to the wonderful world of whisky I get most of my information from blogs, vlogs and sites like whiskybase. These two seemed to be highly recommended, but are discontinued so I thought I should get a bottle while they are still widely available and affordable.
So I thought I'd start a topic asking people if they know of other nice whisky's that recently got discontinued. 
Kind regards,
Toon
Shane_IL
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 06-01-2015 at 22:21 pm

Johnnie Walker Green Label, and Gold label too I guess (re-branded, totally different whisky, very sad)

Edited on 06-01-2015 at 22:22 pm
My Collection My blog: Stuff I Like - https://iwriteaboutstuffilike.com/
mrgood
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 07-01-2015 at 17:24 pm

There was talk that the Laddie 16 and 22 were taking a trip to Never Never Land as well.  Maybe someone can confirm whether that is indeed the case?

Macallan is another that has generated much discussion about obliterating age statements.  They've nixed the 10, 12, 15 and 18 core ranges in favour of the silly (in my opinion) colour-coded releases.  Whether they've killed the age-statement bottles completely or only in certain markets is still up for debate.  If you see an 18 for a reasonable price, definitely try it, it's a real gem.

Also, it would be worthwhile watching for closed distilleries, since those could technically be termed as "discontinued".  Particularly the ones closed in the early 80's, because they are becoming more and more difficult to find at decent prices, and once they're gone they're gone for good.  Banff, Brora, Port Ellen, Glenugie, Glenury Royal, St Magdalene all spring to mind. Check Malt Madness for a comprehensive list.
Jewfrodo
Posted on 07-01-2015 at 18:22 pm

I don't know of any definitive confirmation with regards to the laddie 16 and 22, but they aren't in the Bruichladdich core range anymore and the 22 can be found in their archive section. The strange thing is that I couldn't find the laddie 10 and 16 in the core range or in the archive, no idea what that could mean..

morgbug
Posted on 07-01-2015 at 23:10 pm
mrgood wrote:

Macallan is another that has generated much discussion about obliterating age statements.  They've nixed the 10, 12, 15 and 18 core ranges in favour of the silly (in my opinion) colour-coded releases.  Whether they've killed the age-statement bottles completely or only in certain markets is still up for debate.  If you see an 18 for a reasonable price, definitely try it, it's a real gem.

The Macallan age statements are still widely available in the U.S. but I don't know about any other markets.  They do seem to be gone in Europe and SE Asia as well though (and Canada, as you know mrgood).  I'll not buy the colour coded range either but then I very rarely buy any whisky in Canada (other than Glendronach products which don't have all that much of a price differential in the U.S.) anyway.

mrgood
Posted on 08-01-2015 at 19:44 pm
morgbug wrote:

The Macallan age statements are still widely available in the U.S. 

Which begs the question of whether Macallan are still importing age statements to America or if the importers just had such a huge supply that they're still providing from their backstock.  Only time will tell, I guess.

In my area of Canada, the age statement bottles have kept going for quite a while after the switch, as stores ran down their large stocks, but they're getting tougher and tougher to find.

Jewfrodo
Posted on 08-01-2015 at 20:08 pm

They are still available here (Belgium) aswell, especially on webshops. And the age statement bottles are still on the Macallan website so it seems as if they don't plan on discontinuing the range entirely? 

louich
Posted on 08-01-2015 at 20:41 pm

The Laddie are goners unfortunately. From what I read the 'new owners' are targetting a more easy line to produce:

-Port Chalottre

-Bere barley  (rumors of being only an airport product)

-Octomore

-Bruicladdich unpeated

-Bruichladdich peated

-Black arts and we are done....

;-(

What a shame I loved that distillery...

Drinking alcohol wont solve my problems, but neither will milk !
morgbug
Posted on 08-01-2015 at 23:49 pm
mrgood wrote:
Which begs the question of whether Macallan are still importing age statements to America or if the importers just had such a huge supply that they're still providing from their backstock.  Only time will tell, I guess.
In my area of Canada, the age statement bottles have kept going for quite a while after the switch, as stores ran down their large stocks, but they're getting tougher and tougher to find.

From the stores I've visited in Minnesota, the stocks have dwindled a bit but they still are there.  The Ten being the hardest of the Macallan's to find IMO.  The 12 remains abundant.  

I'm curious where about you're at that you still have age statement Macallan about?  The only age statement Macallan around here (MB) is the 25 @ $999 per and I've no interest in that.  

There is a fair bit of Bruichladdich around here at the moment, I'll have to check into that.  Ooh, I lied.  Only the Scottish Barley and the Port Charlotte are available at this point.  

Edited on 08-01-2015 at 23:50 pm
cavalier66
Posted on 09-01-2015 at 09:02 am

The Macallan Sherry Oak 18s aren't (yet) being discontinued.

Tomatin have announced new expressions/ages
Highland Park changes batch strengths of older bottlings every so often - e.g. 25yo/30 yo recently. If find older ones at older price they are worth it (recently nearly doubled the price of 18/15/30 range). Definitely get an 18 if you find it for the old price (£60 ish) rather than new price (>£100).
Yamazaki discontinued the NAS Sherry Cask - the 2013 is astronomically priced now (JM effect) but others not (yet).  And the other casks (Mizunara, Bourbon, Puncheon) may not be repeated too, though only the Mizunara gets rave reviews.
Of the main silents, many out of price range, but Lochside still often reasonably priced. Littlemill too, though increasing in pirce stealthily. Occasionally reasonable Banffs/St Magdalene's turn up but harder and harder to find and getting pricey. Many other silents under the radar still - DYOR if that interests you.
Could go on but will stop there for now!

mrgood
Posted on 09-01-2015 at 15:17 pm
morgbug wrote:

I'm curious where about you're at that you still have age statement Macallan about?   

Alberta, but like I mentioned, they are getting hard to find now.  Most of the big guys are all out, so you pretty much have to get lucky and walk into the right store.

erikrobb
Posted on 09-01-2015 at 18:27 pm

When I read Johnnie Walker was discontinuing Green and 18yr Gold I still saw them regularly stocked in stores for over a year. Maybe 2 years. They are rare to see now.

I would guess in another year the age statement Macallan's will start to sell out of the bigger, cheaper stores and that will be the end of them.

Erik
morgbug
Posted on 10-01-2015 at 04:19 am

Interesting that Alberta may still have an odd find of the age statement Macallans.  Ours disappeared awfully quickly right around the time the switch was made.  A couple of days after the colour range appeared only a couple of 12 y/o could be found at the front of the store and those were gone by the weekend.   I'll treat age statement Macallans as a fall back purchase during U.S. travel if I can find nothing more interesting until they are gone.  

I wish I could find many of the other expressions of different whiskies that are disappearing but the selection around me is just so very mainstream.  It's why I enjoy traveling to larger U.S. centers so much - the selection is so much better.  

Wish I could have picked up another JW Green, I actually enjoyed that whisky.  But I waited about a year too long.  As erikrobb mentions it was around for quite a while after the announcement but I never grabbed it (still available in Taiwan, but that's a long drive).  

I also missed out on a number of the wood cask expressions from Glendronach in the 14/15 y/o range.  I did get hold of the Tawny Port 15 y/o which has been replaced with an 18 y/o.  But that will come with a corresponding price increase and I'm not sure I want to pay the extra.  I think it's still around a bit though (not locally).  The Moscatel finish seems to be just gone from stores though it appears on the distillery page still.  On the bright side, the Sauternes cask changed to a probably less expensive 12 y/o from the 14 y/o so I should eventually be able to pick that up.  
  Edited on 10-01-2015 at 04:20 am
Jewfrodo
Posted on 10-01-2015 at 13:28 pm
morgbug wrote:
I also missed out on a number of the wood cask expressions from Glendronach in the 14/15 y/o range.  I did get hold of the Tawny Port 15 y/o which has been replaced with an 18 y/o.  But that will come with a corresponding price increase and I'm not sure I want to pay the extra.  I think it's still around a bit though (not locally).  The Moscatel finish seems to be just gone from stores though it appears on the distillery page still.  On the bright side, the Sauternes cask changed to a probably less expensive 12 y/o from the 14 y/o so I should eventually be able to pick that up.  

I suppose I'm lucky, most of the whisky's mentioned above can still be found pretty easily around here.. But the Macallan's have never really been an option for me, seeing as I'm still a student and they are pretty expensive, I don't really know if it's branding or that they are really that much better? Anyway, I might check out that Glendronach tawny port in the near future, thanks for the hint!

mrgood
Posted on 12-01-2015 at 20:42 pm
Jewfrodo wrote:

I don't really know if it's branding or that they are really that much better?

Both, actually.  Macallan have/had a well-earned reputation for being the "sherry king". The problem is they've been riding on that reputation for too long, while others have been catching up, if not surpassing (I suspect that's the reasoning behind the wacky 1824 marketing scheme).  If you like sherried whisky, I find the likes of Glendronach and Aberlour to be far better bangs for your buck.

Jewfrodo
Posted on 13-01-2015 at 02:36 am

I have tried a Couple of Macallans during a golf and malt event a few years ago (these were the ones with age statement), these were my first contact with decent whisky. But seeing as I'm a student now I'm trying to find out more which whisky's offer me a better price / quality experience on my current budget.. So I thought of going for some sherried ones, like the ones you mentioned, Aberlour and Glendronach (and Glenfarclas). This way, I hope, being on a budget (and whiskybase) learn me a bit more about the whisky scene, seeing as I sort of have to do my research before buying..

Edited on 14-01-2015 at 01:20 am
Koning
Posted on 14-01-2015 at 16:28 pm

I heard a rumour that Laphroaig 18 is going to be discontinued. Can anyone confirm this?

Jewfrodo
Posted on 15-01-2015 at 17:59 pm

As far as I could make out there is no confirmation, and the rumor that it is going to be discontiniued started because Laphroaig announced that one of it's 2015 specials would be a 15 yo edition which some people assumed this would replace the 18 yo?

cfosterk
Posted on 18-01-2015 at 14:57 pm

JW green label is still available in taiwan. Can also be picked up for around £45/50 at auction - and its better than any current JW offering - particularly the PURE MALT variation.

Any aged statement Bruichladdich would be good to pick up. Laddie 10 is a great value dram. Resurection Dram too.

Jewfrodo
Posted on 19-01-2015 at 01:08 am

So I got the Laddie ten, but I'm wondering if I should open it for something special in the near future, see what it tastes like and maybe buy another to keep for later.. Or if I just keep this bottle for later, a real luxury problem, I know..

cfosterk
Posted on 19-01-2015 at 23:43 pm

frodo - its a drinking whisky! taste - it likes a little water and time - if you enjoy the unpeated islay experience treat yourself to a bottle to keep.

its never going to make you a fortune but at £30/£35 a go it is a great bang for your buck dram.

Jewfrodo
Posted on 20-01-2015 at 17:02 pm
cfosterk wrote:

frodo - its a drinking whisky! taste - it likes a little water and time - if you enjoy the unpeated islay experience treat yourself to a bottle to keep.

its never going to make you a fortune but at £30/£35 a go it is a great bang for your buck dram.

Oh yeah, it was always meant for drinking, but seeing as I'm new to the whisky scene and on a small budget I was wondering how fast it would sell out and become more expensive to buy. If this normally happens fast I'd rather buy another bottle now than have to pay a premium for it later, but if it takes a while for this to happen I might spend my money on some different whisky's first.

But for me it is already a fairly expensive bottle at the moment, at around 54 Euro.
pierrethesnack
Posted on 22-01-2015 at 14:53 pm

Not really a discontinued whisky, but Glenfarclas 105 stopped being labelled as a 10yo early 2014, whereas after that it's sold as a NAS.

There are still some bottles around, but it probably won't be long before it will be very hard to find the 10yo.

Jewfrodo
Posted on 28-01-2015 at 02:56 am

Not really discontiniued whisky either, but Glenmorangie Lasanta changed from 46% non coloured to a 43% coloured version.. Easy to spot the difference though!

pierrethesnack
Posted on 28-01-2015 at 09:05 am

Jewfrodo,

Sad development. Do you know if the same is true with the Quinta Ruban?

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login