Whiskybase

WB Value - How is it calculated?

FuriousRS
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 17-05-2017 at 12:18 pm

Hey,  first thank you for your work on the WB!

I recognized that some of my collected bottles "exploded" in price since the update to WB V.4... 

I tried to find a existing topic for my question, but could not find any. So here we go:

Since now, i thougth the system was overall like: 

The Value was calculated by the lowest Euro-Price over the shoplinks and if there was none, by the entry-price field in the core data or by a past shop link that was deleted, right? 

Now: Some bottles use the cheapest shop-link, some not.

The Ardbeg Ardbog (https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/41713/ardbeg-ardbog) for example has now a WB Value of 201,93€. 

Even if there is a shoplink from belgium for 139€. I cannot find a shop with a price of 201,39€. 

Do you use a average of the shops? Or something completely different?

Can you explain the latest way to calculate the WB Value?

Thank you in advance :- )

With kind regards

Sebastian

thebase
Super Administrator Super Administrator
Posted on 17-05-2017 at 13:15 pm

This is the way we calculate it:

We take the average value for all shoplinks. And this is not a weighted value but the average of the available shoplinks.

If no shoplinks are available anymore the price of the last known shoplinks will be stored.

The value will be adjusted after a shoplink is verified. Meaning the shoplink is visible and working but the average value will only change when a moderator or admin has check the link. This is put into place to avoid fake links that try to adjust the average value displayed on Whiskybase.

Current to do:

- Cleaning up fake prices that we have seen in the past months and that we missed during migration. This is a list of about 1200 bottles.

Future changes:

- A weighted average value will be implemented; meaning 1 single shoplink can not adjust the average price to much.
- historical price overviews so you can see the changes in pricing
- Auction prices. Which will show you current and historical auction prices.

Be aware that this is just showing you information supplied to us by members, shops and auctions. We are not claiming that this is the actual value of a bottle we are just showing you the information in a consolidated overview.

Edited on 03-06-2017 at 10:12 am
FuriousRS
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 17-05-2017 at 15:10 pm

Ok. That´s fine. Thank you! :- )

wekke
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 18-05-2017 at 00:11 am

I think using an average price rating is more honest.

If you live in a country where prices are on the higher end (due to taxes or other things) this average would compensate it a little bit (paid VS value).

People wouldn't care anymore if a shoplink is from russia, italy or any other country i guess.

So you get less fake shoplink errors (wich i had to deal with alot of the times due to lower prices is some countrys) This was the reason i stopped putting new shoplinks  to the base because off all the fake shoplink errors , just because a price was lower than other shoplinks (at one time i had close to 2000 shoplinks)

Greetings

Edited on 18-05-2017 at 00:21 am
“I like my whisky old and my women young.”
jocmueller
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 12-06-2017 at 13:48 pm

deleted - wrong topic

Edited on 12-06-2017 at 13:49 pm
FuriousRS
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 21-06-2017 at 16:10 pm

thebase wrote:

This is the way we calculate it:

We take the average value for all shoplinks. And this is not a weighted value but the average of the available shoplinks.

If no shoplinks are available anymore the price of the last known shoplinks will be stored.

The value will be adjusted after a shoplink is verified. Meaning the shoplink is visible and working but the average value will only change when a moderator or admin has check the link. This is put into place to avoid fake links that try to adjust the average value displayed on Whiskybase.

Hey, i came back here, to see that die Average Price is now  finally the choosen one :- )

In general I can live with that. But I have a question: 

The average is sometimes far to overpriced (in my opinion) and because of variaty of shops and countries there might be offers conciderably cheaper in the shoplist.

It was mentioned that also the shipping costs have to be considered and that the average price tries to level that out and that the shoplink has to be veryfied to stop manipulation. Completely signed. Good Points, especially to find a "real" average value!

But it is very time-consuming to visit every page of Whisky to check the variation of offers if you maybe try to find out the real value of your collection. You have go to the individual entry, scroll down to the links and find out, how big the price spread is.

Example for variaty is Ardbeg Ardbog (21.06.2017), ~90€ Euro difference from average to min marketplace price / ~60€ to shoplinks.

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/41713/ardbeg-ardbog

Suggestion:

Would it be manageable to also integrate the recent "min" and "max" value for a bottle? (From the shoplinks / maybe + marketplace)? 

To evaluate the real value of the bottle/your collection a combo of  these three key indicators, by showing the spread of all offers, might be a good thing.

Like for the Ardbeg Ardbog:

Min Value (with marketplace) / Average Value / Max Value

119 €                       /      201,70 €        /      458 € 

If there is absolutly no link available, every Price would the same "historical price"

And they would be all the same, if there is only one offe available.

I think this migth help to support very good offers on  your marketplace and the whole net and give the users here a little bit more overview over the value of bottles and their collection. And I read that there might be a feature of  external auction values in the future, that might be a good fourth indicatior...

Hope I could descripe my idea enough :- )

What you think?

WKR 

FuriousRS

FuriousRS
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 06-07-2017 at 10:13 am

*Push* 

Any Replies?

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2021

Forgot your password?

Login