Whiskybase

Getting whisky from Japan is soooo difficult. Do you have any tips?

spagr
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 11-05-2019 at 23:47 pm

Hello all and esspecialy to all whisky lovers from Japan.

I am definitely not a big whisky lover as you are. Yes, I like this peaty island spirit, but I dont have collection of thousands bottles as you have.

I have just "small whisky goal" to achieve.

I was born in 1979 and my sons were born in 2013 / 2016. I would love to collect all the whiskies that was distilled in 1979 and bottled in 2013 / 2016. 

I have already collected a lot of them, but still missing few. If you want to know more details, see my Wishlist.

I know that I will get European whiskies pretty fast. But the Japanese whiskies - it is nightmare even to search for them. And if I find the whisky, none would like to send it to Europe.

Do you have any recommendations, how to find whisky in Japan and get it to Europe?

Thanks a lot for your advices!

Slàinte Mhath
Administrator Administrator
Posted on 12-05-2019 at 11:50 am

spagr wrote:

I was born in 1979 and my sons were born in 2013 / 2016. I would love to collect all the whiskies that was distilled in 1979 and bottled in 2013 / 2016.

I wouldn't bother to source Japanese whiskies distilled in 1979, they will cost you several thousands of Euros (if not ten thousands), given that you can find them at all. You are far better off with Scotch if it is just the vintage and bottling year that interests you. Even more so, if you intend to open these bottles one day.

As for Japanese whisky, going for 1979 vintages means that you are in investors territory where whisky is no longer seen as a liquid to consume but rather a commodity to invest into, which is very unfortunate for us whisky drinkers, as these malts are entirely out of reach.

Just my 2 cents.

“There is no such thing as bad whisky. Some whiskies just happen to be better than others.” (W. Faulkner)
spagr
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 12-05-2019 at 14:13 pm

Slàinte Mhath wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

You are definitely right in all the points you have mentioned.

And yes - I rather buy Scotch whisky for drinking.

Anyway beside my "whisky tasting" I would like to have collection that I hand over to my sons. (I know they do not have any connection with the bottles as I do, but...)

And yes, I would like to buy these bottles even if I never open them. 

I fond some of them in EU, but the price is 4x higher than in Japan. And in Japan are the chosen bottles "common stuff".

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login