Whiskybase

Auction Bottle Shipped to Canada

Mynashvillehomegame
Member Junior Junior Member
Posted on 02-02-2017 at 19:38 pm

Living in Tennessee, I'm noticing there is no way for me to buy or sell here in my state. I do, however, travel outside of the country to Canada and the Caribbean Islands like Grand Cayman. What are your tips and advice on buying (or selling) and having shipped to Canada? How do you know who not to buy from? What's your experiences been like using this platform?

I love all the information this site has on bottles and distillers. Definately would like to participate in the market, but don't want to be taken advantage of.  I'm interested, I just don't know how to navigate this "Underworld" of secondary markets.

morgbug
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 04-02-2017 at 00:44 am

No can ship into Canada with the exception of Alberta.  I'll let someone from Alberta address their situation but for the rest of us not by mail nor by courier can we receive alcohol shipments.  I have a couple of great acquaintances in Alberta that have been more than willing to assist but all the shipping companies know they can't move it outside of Alberta even to a neighboring province.  

Best to wait for advice from someone in Alberta, I'm guessing the rest of us are woefully lacking in experience.  

Previously when eBay US used to allow sales of full bottles as collectibles I had bottles sent to a friend in Minneapolis.  PayPal, eBay buyer protection were the only options I had experience with but were never necessary thankfully.  
VaryingViewpoint
Expert Senior Senior Expert
Posted on 04-02-2017 at 01:01 am
It's illegal to send or receive alcohol through Canada Post, even in Alberta. That said the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission recommend to me FedEx and DHL. But, when I spoke to Craig Johnston Non-Mailable Room at Canada Post Customer Service, Undeliverable Mail Office, in Scarborough, On, two years ago he told me that in Germany DHL was bought out by Germany's mail service. So, if you were to order anything from Germany and request it shipped through DHL, it will be transferred over to Canada Post in Canada as Germany's postal service works with Canada post to have the packages handled. And he's received liquor from DHL from Germany, so he knows. Once I heard that, going forward I only recommend FedEx to all because I don't know if what happened in Germany with DHL has or will happen again in another country in the future. FedEx does not have a contract with Canada Post to handle any of their packages, so they will never be transferred to Canada Post in error or for any other reason. As for other courier companies that may have contracts with Canada Post? I know some do? I also know that UPS can handle liquor to, but because the AGCL didn't recommend it, I don't. And I just remembered why that is, UPS has a contract with Purolater to handle their packages in rural areas that UPS doesn't go to that Purolater does. And, Purolater and Canada post are separate devisions of the same company.  So I doubt the Purolator will knowingly handle liquor. 

If you order from abroad you need to demand that they ship it the way you want then, they are in the wrong if it gets caught up in customs. That happened to me from two shops in the Netherlands; Dramtime and Passion For Whisky. My Dramtime order was delivered to me by Canada Post without issue ( it slipped through although it stated Dramtime right on the box) and my order from Passion For Whisky got nabbed with customs.
  Edited on 05-02-2017 at 03:28 am
One life... Drink it well
mrgood
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 06-02-2017 at 17:19 pm
Like VVP said, ONLY use couriers, that's the key.  The good news is that for shops in the UK (and this must surely be true for UK-based auction houses as well) freight regulations now force them to use couriers for shipping to North America, so Canada Post is no longer an issue when receiving from them.

That said, even in Alberta there are restrictions.  Citizens can only Import for personal use, and there is a limit for frequency and quantity of shipments.  You can only import once every 90 days, and each time no more than 45L total. (the numbers probably haven't changed but this is what they were in 2011 when I got official confirmation from the head of Excise)
morgbug
Posted on 07-02-2017 at 02:32 am

In Alberta do you get hit with the alcohol duties on importation as well?  

mrgood
Posted on 07-02-2017 at 15:29 pm
morgbug wrote:

In Alberta do you get hit with the alcohol duties on importation as well?  

Yep!  I don't know the actual equations, but I'm pretty sure it's based on quantity, strength and value.  I think the last time I imported whisky the numbers came to something like 3% markup + 4% duties + 5% GST.

This was one of the old benefits of using Canada Post.  If is slipped through unseen you'd get it free and clear.  The problem was you'd either get the booze with no taxes whatsoever, or they'd seize it... , and the odds of seizure were pretty high.
  Edited on 07-02-2017 at 15:30 pm
Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 08-02-2017 at 20:04 pm

Hmm. All comments very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

So now my Underworld Brain is trying to figure out how to beat the system. Doesn't look like a good idea to try to ship them. What we need is a network of business travelers to personally carry 1 bottle in their checked bags when they return home. But how to connect with nefarious characters like this...

Up till now, I haven't tasted a lot of quality whiskies anyway, but I can see that in a few more years I'm really gonna be bored with the same old crap that gets shipped to us here in the South. Thanks for the tips and great info.

JimmyLeg
Posted on 09-02-2017 at 18:00 pm

I've heard that shipping whisky declared as olive oil can work.

Charlie don't surf.
mrgood
Posted on 09-02-2017 at 19:18 pm
JimmyLeg wrote:

I've heard that shipping whisky declared as olive oil can work.

If you're talking Canada Post, yes, but it's still a crapshoot.  You can declare it whatever you like, but if they open it (which they often do during inspections), then you're boned no matter what you declared it as.

It's perfectly legal to ship booze to Alberta via courier so if you're using a courier you might as well declare it as whisky and pay the fees rather than risk getting slapped around for lying to Customs and Excise.
JimmyLeg
Posted on 21-02-2017 at 12:55 pm

I do hate being slapped around.

Charlie don't surf.
Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 24-02-2017 at 17:05 pm

I don't know how much all these fees would potentially add up to (courier fee, customs fee, excise fee, liquor tax, etc, etc), is it pretty much not worth the effort? Seems like it. It almost seems cheaper to get a "points flight" to Glasgow, spend a week, then buy two lovely bottles and stuff them in your suitcase and fly home. Basically you still have to pay for a week stay and meals. Either that or just be content with the rubbish they sell at our local stores. Especially factoring in a 30% chance of total loss in customs.

Are the fees more than the actual cost of the bottle?

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login