Whiskybase

What's on your list for Christmas this year?

JimmyLeg
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 06-12-2016 at 18:17 pm

I'd love a Springbank 18 or a Kilchoman Loch Gorm. (You don't have to buy me both.) happy

Edited on 06-12-2016 at 18:18 pm
Charlie don't surf.
mrgood
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 07-12-2016 at 21:07 pm
Is that a Tottenham cock?  Oh, my friend, I'm afraid I can't get you anything unless it's a set of these  happy

ar-g096.jpg

but seriously, there's only one thing I want this Xmas and it unfortunately has nothing to do with whisky sad
  Edited on 07-12-2016 at 21:08 pm
louich
Posted on 09-12-2016 at 14:09 pm

I wish the new Macallan12 yrs botlling gets out before chrismas ! 

If not I might grab some Laphy Caidreas 2016 at 100
Drinking alcohol wont solve my problems, but neither will milk !
JimmyLeg
Posted on 09-12-2016 at 14:39 pm
mrgood wrote:
Is that a Tottenham cock?  Oh, my friend, I'm afraid I can't get you anything unless it's a set of these  happy

ar-g096.jpg
These are fighting words (tumblers?).

Charlie don't surf.
mrgood
Posted on 09-12-2016 at 20:33 pm
JimmyLeg wrote:
These are fighting words (tumblers?).

Ha ha, yeah, if I could've found a pic of cannon-imprinted glencairns I would've used it, but clearly the Gunners don't know the first thing about proper drinking glasses.

morgbug
Posted on 10-12-2016 at 05:26 am
louich wrote:

I wish the new Macallan12 yrs botlling gets out before chrismas ! 

If not I might grab some Laphy Caidreas 2016 at 100

I grabbed a couple of the Double Oaks in September in Florida.  Haven't cracked them yet.  Not really looking forward to the price though.  I paid about $75 for each in Florida so I'm guessing if these do get released in Canada they'll run $120+

Will be in Maui over Christmas so my gift is my wife allowing me to bring back three bottles due to our combined duty free allowance.  Will see what Costco has (picked up Lagavulin 16 last time @ $49 each) but if not there then Tamura's has a very good selection with surprisingly good pricing.  Not as good as Minnesota but better than many of the states - so surprising given it's an island location.  
Mynashvillehomegame
Member Junior Junior Member
Posted on 20-12-2016 at 02:19 am

Yeah, I'm flying out to Montana for Christmas and then Banff Canada in January for snowmobile trip. I'll be looking for deals to fly home with. I'm hoping Canada has something cheaper than what I can get here. I'll be trying to find a good Age Statement, non-chill filtered, non-colored, 46%ABV'd Single Malt or Single Barrel (or close to it) at and around the $50 price point. Any bargains I should keep my eye out for???

I've picked up a few good buys here in town this month. I got a 1L bottle of Cutty Sark Prohibition Ed 50%ABV for only $26USD. I loved it so much after tasting, I went back and bought 2 more for a later day. Tastes a lot like Highland Park. It's not super complex, but still has a lot of noticeable flavors. Great value per dollar/oz.

morgbug
Posted on 21-12-2016 at 05:16 am

Are you counting the $50 as USD or CAD?  Because I could recommend, if you can still find them, either the Glenlivet Nadurra 16 (not the Nadurra's without the age statement on the label) or the Glendronach 14 Virgin Oak which I hear are still roaming some store shelves in Calgary.  Both have been around $75 which is probably pretty close to that $50 USD mark.  I find both tasty and somewhat similar but both are/were good value.  Both are bourbon cask finishes so no sherry in there.  Not smoky either.  I think the Superstores (grocery store in Calgary) used to have HP 12 for just under $60 CAD.  

Canadian prices will not seem as friendly, no way around that.  But at least you're going to the best place in Canada to buy whisky.  There are other places that are just attrocious.  
Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 21-12-2016 at 16:36 pm

The 14y virgin wood sounds like a great buy at $50USD. I will be grabbing any if I find them, haven't tasted one yet. I was a little late to the party with the 15y Revival, but still bought 4 bottles at insane high price of $100usd/bottle. The Bourbon cask would be a great one to get, thanks for the tip. I'll look for the Nadurra too. Never had it. Sounds good. The price on HP sounds great too. I paid close to $60USd for my last bottle.

Did a tasting with my neighbor last night with the Cutty Sark Prohib Ed; Eagle Rare 10y; Rittenhouse Rye BIB. He is very new to whiskies, but my perception was he liked the 10y old the best on his first sitting. It could very well change after several sessions. I'm enjoying sitting down with friends with these bottles. Fun to get their perspective. Hope you all have a Happy Holiday Season and Merry Christmas! Thanks for all the tips..

Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 21-12-2016 at 22:20 pm
morgbug wrote:

I think the Superstores (grocery store in Calgary) used to have HP 12 for just under $60 CAD.  

Canadian prices will not seem as friendly, no way around that.  But at least you're going to the best place in Canada to buy whisky.  There are other places that are just attrocious. 

I've scouted it out on Google Maps, and the place I'm looking to stop is close to the airport. It's a "Superstore" and its right next to a Liquor store called Real Canadian Liquourstore right between Centre St N and 4th St NW. I'll check at both. Think this will be a good location to find a deal?? Or should I trekk deeper into the local backroads...?

mrgood
Posted on 22-12-2016 at 02:14 am
morgbug wrote:

Real Canadian Liquour store

Yep that`s the one he`s talking about.  It`s great for deals, maybe not so much for selection.  Same goes for Costco

Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 22-12-2016 at 21:22 pm

Great. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I'll buy something, even if it's not super great deal. It'll be a good story to share when I open the bottle too. "Yeah everyone, I traveled a long way to find this bottle..."

One more question off subject: any of you folks ever used the public transit in Calgary? I'm staying downtown and the website said I could get a bus straight into downtown for like $10 bucks from the airport. Only thing is I'd like to stop off a few times on the way, but it doesn't say if the fare covers you for multiple stops. Mainly, I just want to hit that liquor store on the way into downtown from the airport. Any tips??

mrgood
Posted on 23-12-2016 at 05:06 am

it doesn't say if the fare covers you for multiple stops. 

I can't say much about buses, but I do take the train on occasion.  I THINK a ticket for the train can be used for buses, and vice versa, and a train ticket is good for 90 minutes in any direction.  The Calgary Transit website should tell you everything you need to know.

(by the way, the train downtown is free, so as long as you don't take it beyond the borders of downtown you can use the train down there as much as you like)

There are some stores downtown that might be within walking distance (Google Maps should find you plenty of stuff), like Calgary Co-op Wine & Spirits, Zyn, or if you're as far south as 17 SW the Mount Royal Liquor Depot has a good selection or if you're as far north as Kensington there's Kensington Wine Market.  I've always been partial to Willow Park's flagship store but it's a bit out of your way.  I think they have a branch in Eau Claire Market downtown but have never been in there.
Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 06-01-2017 at 01:10 am

Thank you for the great scouting report MrGood. I've got another two weeks or so to prepare, and I'm sure it will be easy enough to figure out once i'm there as well. I hope to make a quick stop in some of these shops!

morgbug
Posted on 07-01-2017 at 04:40 am

My favorite stores in Calgary are Liquor Barns (also Liquor Depot).  mrgood mentioned the one I frequent most often at 17 Ave SW and 11 St SW corner.  A bit of a sketchy neighbourhood it seems so I'd go during the day (hey, I don't live there or know Calgary THAT well).  It has a bigger selection than the Liquor Barn on 12 Ave SW that might be a bit closer to you.  Kensignton will probably be the closest to where you're staying (I'm just guessing) and they'll have an amazing selection.  

Man, I wish I was going to Calgary sometime soon.  On the plus side just back from Hawaii where I was able to pick up another couple of Macallan Double Oak 12s but this time for only $52 each!  Quite the savings over what I paid in Florida a couple of months earlier.  

On topic I did get a bottle of Auchentoshan Three Wood from a buddy.  Generally I do not buy NAS whisky at all these days (I do understand there are good NAS whiskies, it's a principle thing) but I've heard nothing but good things about this one.  So I've adhered to my principles but got what might be a tasty whisky that I wouldn't otherwise buy for myself.  So added three bottles of whisky over the holiday season.  happy
You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login