Whiskybase

What did you get for Christmas?

JimmyLeg
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 10-01-2016 at 14:42 pm

No, I don't mean socks.

I was lucky enough to get a Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve, an Old Pulteney 12, a Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, and a bottle of el Dorado 15yo rum.

I am pretty happy. Oh yeah, I also got a $50 gift certificate which went a long way toward a bottle of Ardbeg Ten.  

Charlie don't surf.
plhawey
Posted on 10-01-2016 at 16:00 pm

Got a SIVO essence du single malt 1st edition, a young malt from a Quebec distiller and also gave myself a Highland park 21, a Laphroaig 15 and a Connemara Cask Strength from my visit to New Brunswick!

I also got a 50$ gift card that I used to get myself a nice little Kilchoman Machir Bay happy

mrbill
Member Junior Junior Member
Posted on 10-01-2016 at 18:26 pm

Got the Glenmorangie Pioneering Collection. 100ml samplers of "The Original", "Lasanta 12", "Nector D'Or" and "The Quinta Ruban". A great little gift pack. Yum!

Slainte, BillSignature Picture
JimmyLeg
Posted on 11-01-2016 at 20:48 pm
mrbill wrote:

Got the Glenmorangie Pioneering Collection. 100ml samplers of "The Original", "Lasanta 12", "Nector D'Or" and "The Quinta Ruban". A great little gift pack. Yum!

I bought myself one of those earlier this year. It was a great idea.

Charlie don't surf.
ktg
Posted on 12-01-2016 at 04:56 am

I got two 10 year cask strength Laphroaigs and an Old Grandad cask strength - some good gifts. Also bought myself a Pemberton single malt (local BC distillery)

plhawey
Posted on 23-01-2016 at 08:18 am
ktg wrote:

I got two 10 year cask strength Laphroaigs and an Old Grandad cask strength - some good gifts. Also bought myself a Pemberton single malt (local BC distillery)

How did you like that pemberton? Also got a bottle, so did my friends and their opinon wasn't good at all!

ktg
Posted on 24-01-2016 at 04:08 am

Haven't opened it yet.... I figured it wouldn't be the greatest it is really young and who knows how good of quality of casks they are sourcing but fun to support the local scene anyway and hopefully they can get some age on some of it and turn out a better product. Neat to see if they could do something with some local wine barrels or something

I have had several of the Okanagan Spirits whisky and it varies in quality for price but as per the above it is fun to see what is in your own backyard

plhawey
Posted on 02-02-2016 at 16:20 pm
ktg wrote:

Haven't opened it yet.... I figured it wouldn't be the greatest it is really young and who knows how good of quality of casks they are sourcing but fun to support the local scene anyway and hopefully they can get some age on some of it and turn out a better product. Neat to see if they could do something with some local wine barrels or something

I have had several of the Okanagan Spirits whisky and it varies in quality for price but as per the above it is fun to see what is in your own backyard

My friends and I secure a 5L cask that was aging some Canadian whisky! We'll drop our 3 Pemperton in it for a few months, even maybe age some sherry in there a few weeks before we put our whiksy... can't wait to see the result on that!

morgbug
Posted on 06-02-2016 at 07:45 am

LOL.  I got jack.   So over the past two months I bought four bottles of four bottles of Glenlivet Nadurra 16 before it disappears.  

JimmyLeg
Posted on 08-02-2016 at 21:59 pm
morgbug wrote:

LOL.  I got jack.   So over the past two months I bought four bottles of four bottles of Glenlivet Nadurra 16 before it disappears.  

Is it because they think you have too much whisky already? That comment always angers me.

Charlie don't surf.
NobleArc
Posted on 08-02-2016 at 22:45 pm

I got a 200ml mini of Jura Origin as a stocking stuffer. Haven't cracked it yet, nor have I ever had a Jura before, so colour me excited.

morgbug
Posted on 09-02-2016 at 03:40 am
JimmyLeg wrote:
morgbug wrote:

Is it because they think you have too much whisky already? That comment always angers me.

A little of that plus a little not knowing what to buy, so it's ok.  Better than a bottle of Macallan Gold showing up.

louich
Posted on 19-02-2016 at 15:14 pm

Got a Springbank 10yrs to celebrate. Opened it right away and it is in the daily rotation. 

Drinking alcohol wont solve my problems, but neither will milk !
Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 09-01-2017 at 21:58 pm

I bought a new bottling of a Heaven Hill Distilled Bourbon, Elijah Craig, for my brother-in-law for a Xmas gift, knowing he'd crack it open and offer me as much as I wanted. Exactly one year ago, I had tasted Elijah Craig 12y small batch among a tasting line up of 4 whiskies: Knob Creek 9y, Wild Turkey 101, and Gentlemen Jack. That night, all tasters were most impressed with EC12.

As you may know, they did away with the 12 y offering and did away with the age statement. Can't blame them, but I knew it was gonna be different, so I was eager to see the change.

It was a tremendous appointment. I'd be willing to guess its now a very young whiskey, maybe 6 or 7 years old. I'm assuming good casks are getting harder to come by, and if that's not the case, I'm guessing producers are rushing the process to cash in. Maybe we're even looking at a mini bubble in the near future... who knows.

Anyway, my main point was a year ago, a nice bottle of Elijah Craig 12y was only about $30 USD. I'm glad I bought a few extras to store away. The new offering is around $27 USD I think, and in my opinion, it'll probably be the last time I buy a bottle of that offering. It's still a good quality bourbon, it's just since the other was so much better for just a couple bucks more, they've spoiled me rotten.

Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 09-01-2017 at 22:04 pm
JimmyLeg wrote:

No, I don't mean socks.

I was lucky enough to get a Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve, an Old Pulteney 12, a Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, and a bottle of el Dorado 15yo rum.

I am pretty happy. Oh yeah, I also got a $50 gift certificate which went a long way toward a bottle of Ardbeg Ten. 

How'd the Old Pultney 12 work out for ya?  Its been on my radar for about 6 months. I've been keeping an eye out for an affordable bottle here in my neck of the woods.

I drank a bottle of the Arbed 10 exactly 1 year ago, and it was a great experience. I still have one bottle in my closet waiting to be opened on a special occasion. I've seen their prices coming down a little from when I bought mine. They were like $55 USD a year ago, and I think I've seen them for $53-50. Great one.

JimmyLeg
Posted on 10-01-2017 at 01:55 am

I love the OP 12. I've emptied that one and bought another. Also purchased the 17YO because of Ralfy but haven't opened it yet.

I asked for and received gift certificates this Christmas for our local liquor outlet the NSLC. With them I bought a Kilchoman Machir Bay, a Wiser Legacy, and Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength and I found way in the back of the shelves a batch 37 a'bunadh. YESSSS!

Edited on 10-01-2017 at 01:55 am
Charlie don't surf.
Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 12-01-2017 at 00:25 am
JimmyLeg wrote:

I love the OP 12. I've emptied that one and bought another. Also purchased the 17YO because of Ralfy but haven't opened it yet.

I asked for and received gift certificates this Christmas for our local liquor outlet the NSLC. With them I bought a Kilchoman Machir Bay, a Wiser Legacy, and Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength and I found way in the back of the shelves a batch 37 a'bunadh. YESSSS!

Wow, sounds good. Yeah, I first heard of OP from Ralfy videos. I tried one dram at a whiskey bar in Chicago while traveling. It was good but too hard to concentrate. I don't remember if it was the 12 or 17. I've been looking for both at an affordable price. Here in the South, most stores just offer a lot of the basic offerings so it takes a lot of hunting. I'm definitely  going to buy a OP 12 asap (probably 2 so I can open one).

I haven't had the Kilchomen yet. I know its young but good. And I also haven't had any a'bunadh yet either. So Batch 37 is the one to keep an eye out for? What sort of price point do you think is a bargain.?

JimmyLeg
Posted on 12-01-2017 at 22:47 pm

Sure if you can find a 37 go ahead and get it but you're much more likely to find current batches which are 57 or 58. The A'bunadh is $95.00 here in Nova Scotia, I don't know what you'd consider a good price but I would think you could get it for much less than that in the U.S.

Charlie don't surf.
morgbug
Posted on 14-01-2017 at 06:08 am
JimmyLeg wrote:

Sure if you can find a 37 go ahead and get it but you're much more likely to find current batches which are 57 or 58. The A'bunadh is $95.00 here in Nova Scotia, I don't know what you'd consider a good price but I would think you could get it for much less than that in the U.S.

Many whiskies aren't really cheaper in the U.S.  Glendronach would be a very good example.  Surprisingly Glenfarclas as well, actually both better priced in Canada after factoring in exchange.  Plus it's super variable from state to state, some being good (MN) some being downright awful (WA).  Aberlour thankfully is reasonable enough - total wine in Minnesota lists it at $64.99 which is about equivalent to the $95 you have in Nova Scotia.  

Henryporter
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 14-01-2017 at 06:47 am

Gift certificates, which I used to get a Kilchoman PX Single Cask B.C. Exclusive and Talisker 57 North. Also on Christmas Day I cracked a Laphroaig Lore and on New Years Eve snagged the last bottle (according to the Internet) of Ardbeg Dark Cove vailable from B.C. Liquor Stores. Had to drive all the way out out to the town where I went to high school to get it, too. A good season overall.

Edited on 17-01-2017 at 07:14 am
Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 23-01-2017 at 20:36 pm

I just got back from Calgary. My brother in law said I had to goto Kensington Wine Market to check out their selection. I picked up two good affordable bottles: Glen Garioch 12y for $58CAN and Tomatin Cash Strength for $73CAN. I've never tried either or anything from these distilleries, and I'm eager to try them out. I couldn't believe all the offerings they had. Nothing like what they sell here in Nashville.

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login