Whiskybase

Highland Park 12yo

JimmyLeg
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 30-04-2015 at 22:08 pm

Ralfy has stated over a couple of reviews of this whisky that it's not what it used to be.

I have just bought a bottle for the first time and I really like it. Are any of you HP men? Have you noticed a decline in quality in this particular whisky?

Charlie don't surf.
morgbug
Posted on 01-05-2015 at 03:10 am

No help to come from me, sorry.  I confess I've never actually purchased or even tasted any HP whiskies.  Many are interesting enough but it just hasn't happened yet.

Jay Rain
Posted on 04-05-2015 at 05:01 am

was not a big fan of the 18 year old so have not reinvested into HP (other than a bottle of Loki that is unopened).

plhawey
Posted on 05-05-2015 at 03:33 am

I got 6 different HP (3 unopened Valhalla) and I gotta say it's one of my favorite ! .. I know a lot a people tend to stay away from mainstream brands but for me HP 12 is what introduced me into whisky ! I love my HP 18 and HP Dark Origins

louich
Posted on 06-05-2015 at 15:09 pm

HP is usually nice and the 12 altough ( IMHO) is not the best I found it changed slightly in the last 8-10 years. That being said the changes are very slight and minimal compared to what the Talisker 10 yrs went thru (shamfully to say the least) so to venture and say delcine in quality is a bit overstated. 

Overall I like the HP and was part (I have to rgab a new bottl soon) of my regular rotation. The Cask strenght from G&M was just awesome and I am still kicking myself for not buying more than two bottles. 
Drinking alcohol wont solve my problems, but neither will milk !
mrgood
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 23-10-2015 at 19:04 pm

Was Ralfy only talking about the 12yr?  I find the Highland Park 18yr to be easily one of the gold standards in its price range.  As such, I can't imagine the 18yr has deteriorated in quality, but if it has, daaaamn I need get my hands on old one.

JimmyLeg
Posted on 23-10-2015 at 20:40 pm

Yeah, he was just talking about the 12yo but I'm sure he's said that the 18 can be hit and miss. Some great ones and some not at all good.

I found an old style HP 18 yo at a shop here and NS and I did buy it (for $200). Haven't opened it but I'm hopeful.

Charlie don't surf.
Mynashvillehomegame
Member Junior Junior Member
Posted on 24-01-2017 at 01:31 am

I loved my bottle of HP12. I think I mentioned this already in another one of these topics, but I had it open while also trying Benromach 10yo and I like the HP12 better. It just had way more flavors and it improved over time and with water. I'll be keeping my eye out for an affordable bottle. I'll be in Atlanta GA next month and there's a big wholesale store I plan to stop and see if I can get it sub $50usd price range.

So did you ever open the 18yo? Looks like this topic was over a year ago...

JimmyLeg
Posted on 29-01-2017 at 19:48 pm

I haven't opened it yet, Saving it for my 50th birthday. 8 months to wait.

Charlie don't surf.
You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login