Whiskybase

How many bottles do you have open?

JimmyLeg
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 08-03-2015 at 00:48 am

I have 5 open and I really want to open 3 or 4 more. However I only have 3-4 glasses a week so I'm concerned about having so many open and oxidizing away.

Is this a valid concern or should I just stop being a dope and pull those corks? I do love that sound.

Charlie don't surf.
MarkSafari
Member Junior Junior Member
Posted on 09-03-2015 at 02:33 am

I have quite a few bottles opened at a time - probably about 75 - but like you, I only have a few drams a week. However, since you can start to notice a certain "flattening" of the flavours after about 6 months of the bottle being opened, I have a trick to keep them all fresh.

When one of my bottles reaches about 1/2 way, I re-bottle it into a smaller glass bottle (usually a Boston Round type). By limiting the amount of air in the bottle, you limit oxidization. This frees you up to open as many bottles as you like, without feeling pressure to finish them before they start loosing their flavour.
JimmyLeg
Posted on 10-03-2015 at 01:08 am

Do you have a good method for cleaning the smaller bottles? I'm nervous about them being clean enough, even if they're new.

I admit, I may be taking this a bit too seriously.

Charlie don't surf.
Jay Rain
Posted on 21-03-2015 at 19:26 pm

You should be fine on oxidization as long as you are greater than a half bottle.  Six months seems a little on the early side to taste a flattening.

the flipside is that some whiskey's taste better with age.

Great idea on the bottle transfer.
plhawey
Posted on 08-04-2015 at 03:09 am

I got about 7-8 opened at a time.

You can also get some Argon gas (often used with wine) to preserve your whisky once opened !

louich
Posted on 21-04-2015 at 21:37 pm

I just looked and it seems I have 8 bottles after empting 3 last week!

I need to find a nitogren or argon tank to fill up my bottles in the future as some were too oxidised for my taste.

Drinking alcohol wont solve my problems, but neither will milk !
scorpion2669
Posted on 02-09-2015 at 19:03 pm

I have 15 open and 2 other that I just recently finished. I seem to be having a heel party by myself the past couple weeks as I have been laid off sad

Good idea about the inert gas blanket in the bottles. I wonder if the inert gas in my welding tank would work?
My Collection
plhawey
Posted on 03-09-2015 at 07:48 am

Just don't try to Flambé your scotch from the bottle and you should be fine wink ... (You can get argon gas for about 15-20$ at many wine retailers)

Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 24-01-2017 at 01:36 am

Currently, just two. I've got a Cutty Sark Prohibition Ed 1L that I'm not sure I really like, so I've been adding bits of bottles that are really low into the CS and noting it on the bottle. So far i've added 2oz of Benromach 10; 4oz of Eagle Rare 10y; and 1oz of Doorly's Barbadan Rum. Not sure how it will marry, but sometimes you've gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette.

The other bottle open is Eagle Rare 10y. It's good but I'm not in love with it either. I'll probably take it over to family's house and share while we taste whatever they have.

THan
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 26-01-2017 at 10:48 am

Currently, just two. I've got a Cutty Sark Prohibition Ed 1L that I'm not sure I really like, so I've been adding bits of bottles that are really low into the CS and noting it on the bottle. So far i've added 2oz of Benromach 10; 4oz of Eagle Rare 10y; and 1oz of Doorly's Barbadan Rum. Not sure how it will marry, but sometimes you've gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette.

The other bottle open is Eagle Rare 10y. It's good but I'm not in love with it either. I'll probably take it over to family's house and share while we taste whatever they have.

Cutty Prohibition is really a love/hate.  Quig loves it and C(of Trenny and C) hates it.  I appreciate it for it's intrinsic quality. 

Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 26-01-2017 at 18:52 pm
THan wrote:
 I appreciate it for it's intrinsic quality. 

Yes, I agree. The bang for the buck is definitely there. I only paid $26usd for 1L, I mean that's crazy cheap. And I do like a lot of it's tasting notes like toffee, butterscotch, citrus fruits, vanilla, etc. I went back and bought 2 more at that price. It is not very complex though, but for it's price it's too good to pass up. I did taste a hint of Highland Park in it too, which is one I love.

jasonmtl
Posted on 09-02-2017 at 02:51 am

I currently have 6 open bottles, working away bit by bit; but that doesn't discourage me from opening others.

Should I worry about evaporation if I have bottles open (obviously with the cap/cork in) for extended periods of time? Say 1yr or more?
mrgood
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 09-02-2017 at 15:37 pm
jasonmtl wrote:

Should I worry about evaporation if I have bottles open (obviously with the cap/cork in) for extended periods of time? Say 1yr or more?

ooh ho hoo, can of worms!  One could write an entire book on the subject... and I think there's a thread dedicated to this buried somewhere deep in the unsearchable forum.  The bottom line, though, is "dunno". happy   Some bottles last for years after uncorking (and can even improve over time).  Others are a hot mess in just a few months.  

However, evaporation isn't the problem, oxidization is.  Your whisky might not disappear, but it might go bad... well, not bad, per se, but neutered certainly.

In general, I think most bottles would be fine after a year, but it depends on the circumstances.  (I once accidentally left a bottle in a hot car for an afternoon and it destroyed the whisky completely.)   Independent bottles, cask strength, single cask stuff should last a good long while, but others like Diageo-based standard product lines maybe not so much (but only because they often don't treat their whiskies with enough respect).

some factors:
- proper storage (this goes for the unopened as well).  cool, dark place, bottle standing upright.
- the more O₂ the faster it deteriorates, so the higher the contents in the bottle, the longer it will last.
- there is some debate about whether colourant and chill-filtration are detrimental to longevity.  I'd err on  the side of caution and assume they do.
- I think higher strength might also add to longevity.
wisekycourse
Connoisseur Connoisseur
Posted on 30-03-2017 at 21:47 pm

42,but i only drink of fifteen bottles in my bar,the rest is stored in the cellar!

My Collection
You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login