Whiskybase

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

JimmyLeg
Member Senior Senior Member
Posted on 08-12-2014 at 23:30 pm

I’ve been hinting that I wouldn’t mind getting a bottle of this for Christmas. I’m wondering if the quality has been maintained since its introduction. Anyone have any insight into this? Anyone tried multiple versions?

Charlie don't surf.
morgbug
Posted on 09-12-2014 at 05:59 am

I'm not a Laphroaig guy just yet, but I have friends who are adamant that Laphroaig is not what it once was.  They still enjoy it, but they suggest that the newer releases simply are not the same.  No idea of the veracity of the story though.  

JimmyLeg
Posted on 09-12-2014 at 22:45 pm

I'd heard the same but I guess I can't miss what I never had.

Charlie don't surf.
Jay Rain
Posted on 14-12-2014 at 17:14 pm

Have read less than positive reviews which has deterred me from purchasing.

Still suggest that you give it a try on your own - pricepoint is not outrageous and the person who knows your taste best is you
JimmyLeg
Posted on 15-12-2014 at 00:57 am

It's only $65.99 here so I think it's worth a shot. I'll post my findings, amateurish as they may be.

Charlie don't surf.
ktg
Posted on 30-12-2014 at 03:51 am

In my opinion, it is not as it once was, but is still one of the better nas Islay malts in terms of value/quality and I still enjoy it.
Best (value/quality) distillery bottling of Laphroaig that I have had was the 10yr cask strength

Jay Rain
Posted on 03-01-2015 at 05:16 am

I am a fan of the 18 and have a bottle of the 25 unopened but both are at unreasonable pricepoints.  

ktg
Posted on 03-01-2015 at 07:36 am

Agreed the 18 is good - I have an unopened bottle from a few years back. Price is just getting to high locally (BC) as you say...but still cheap in Texas and some other us states. However, I always seem to find other bottles of more interest when traveling south   

scorpion2669
Member Junior Junior Member
Posted on 02-09-2015 at 19:35 pm

I've only tried the one bottle of QC that I have. Personally I enjoy my Cairdeas 2014 much more. The triple wood is not bad either.

My Collection
plhawey
Posted on 03-09-2015 at 07:45 am

Love the triple wood and quarter cask ! They are my go too when I need a little kick !

Wee Robbie
Posted on 10-02-2016 at 16:22 pm

I just purchased 4 bottles of this one at the Real Canadian Liquor Store in Calgary on sale @$35.98 per bottle with 50 ml bottles attached.
I don't know of a better value in the scotch realm than QC 48% ABV and NCF. I do realize it is an acquired taste but like olives, oysters and blue cheese it is a taste worth the effort.

ktg
Posted on 11-02-2016 at 01:45 am

have to love Alberta....$68.99 here in BC before tax

mrgood
Expert Junior Junior Expert
Posted on 12-02-2016 at 21:38 pm
morgbug wrote:

I'm not a Laphroaig guy just yet, but I have friends who are adamant that Laphroaig is not what it once was.  They still enjoy it, but they suggest that the newer releases simply are not the same.  No idea of the veracity of the story though.  

Is it possible they've just gotten used to it?  The first time I tried a Lapher I was blown away.  When I have one these days it doesn't have quite the same impact as it used to, but for me I think it's just because there is less novelty now that I've had a few and am more familiar with it.

mrgood
Posted on 12-02-2016 at 21:50 pm
ktg wrote:

Agreed the 18 is good - I have an unopened bottle from a few years back. Price is just getting to high locally (BC) as you say...but still cheap in Texas and some other us states. However, I always seem to find other bottles of more interest when traveling south   

They're killing off the 18yr, so that might explain the price increase (price increases as supply is diminished).  The prices have increased across the board, but Laphroaig is generally still one of the best bangs-for-your-buck out there.

The 18 is delightful, a lot less powerful than the younger ones, but much more complex.  As for the Quarter, I actually prefer 10 yr.  I also have a 10 yr Cask Strength that I haven't tried yet, but am quite looking forward to.  By all accounts the Cask Strength is the one to go for... if you can find it.  We don't have it in Alberta, I had to go overseas for it.
ktg
Posted on 13-02-2016 at 22:08 pm

You will enjoy the 10yr cs, I have a few and have had a few different batches of it - great dram. Found them recently at total wine in Washington state and picked one up at Laphroaig this past summer

If you haven't already I would look at shopping online at l liquor depot, most of my recent purchases have been off the site (ship to family in Edmonton) great selection of hard to find stuff including lots of independent bottlers, Bowmore devil cask, Bruichladdich micro Providence, Black Art etc 
mrgood
Posted on 15-02-2016 at 02:41 am
ktg wrote:

You will enjoy the 10yr cs, I have a few and have had a few different batches of it - great dram. Found them recently at total wine in Washington state and picked one up at Laphroaig this past summer

If you haven't already I would look at shopping online at l liquor depot, most of my recent purchases have been off the site (ship to family in Edmonton) great selection of hard to find stuff including lots of independent bottlers, Bowmore devil cask, Bruichladdich micro Providence, Black Art etc 

Alas, you definitely won't find the 10yr cask strength on Liquor Depot's online store.  Literally no store in Alberta has stocked that one for some time (if ever).

I've never used their online store, but I kind of resent it a little.  Their website used to have a wonderful feature that tied directly into their inventory, so you could search and find all matching bottles and which store had them.  I bought many a bottle that way.  Unfortunately, their online store seems to be warehouse-specific so it doesn't offer everything every store has, and when they revamped the website to add the online store, they blew away the wonderful store search feature.  They lost a lot of business doing that because I very rarely go in there anymore (are you listening Liquor Depot?  Bring that feature back!   happy  )

Wee Robbie
Posted on 18-05-2016 at 16:19 pm

Just a heads up for those in Alberta or with connections. The Laph QC is on for $38.98 per at the Real Canadian Liquor Store starting today! Sorry posted the wrong price initially. $38.98 is correct.

Edited on 18-05-2016 at 22:48 pm
ktg
Posted on 18-05-2016 at 18:15 pm

Thanks - sent my brother to get me some

Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 20-12-2016 at 02:12 am

(First time posting, thanks for the add, group!)

I'm flying up to Calgary, then over to Banff for a few days in late January 2017. Gonna snowmobile if weather is right, and then catch the Predators play Calgary! Go Pred's!!

Are the Laphroig's still really cheap up there? Any other bargain whisky's that I should be aware of on my visit?? Thanks! (Stephen from Nashville TN).

Down here in Bourbon and TN Whiskey land, the big buzz is that Old Grandad 114 is going away, I snagged 4 at the local store.

mrgood
Posted on 20-12-2016 at 17:44 pm

Are the Laphroig's still really cheap up there? Any other bargain whisky's that I should be aware of on my visit?? Thanks! (Stephen from Nashville TN).

They've increased, but are still comparatively cheaper.  A few years ago I could get the quarter cask for $45, now it's around $65.  the Lapher 10 was $50, now it's $75, but compared to other brands it's still one of the less expensive alternatives.  In your case, you'll get a deal from the exchange rate which will probably get even better for you as the CDN dollar is likely to drop with the increasing US interest rate.

Also, I wouldn't look for deals in Banff.  They have some okay liquor stores, but you'll get better deals in Calgary.
Mynashvillehomegame
Posted on 20-12-2016 at 21:09 pm
mrgood wrote:
 you'll get a deal from the exchange rate which will probably get even better for you as the CDN dollar is likely to drop with the increasing US interest rate.

Also, I wouldn't look for deals in Banff.  They have some okay liquor stores, but you'll get better deals in Calgary.

OK, good to know. Thanks for the info. Yeah, dollar looking pretty strong. I've been watching futures. We'll see. Looking forward to visiting. Are there any Canadian whiskey distilleries in Calgary you'd recommend visiting?

mrgood
Posted on 21-12-2016 at 03:32 am

OK, good to know. Thanks for the info. Yeah, dollar looking pretty strong. I've been watching futures. We'll see. Looking forward to visiting. Are there any Canadian whiskey distilleries in Calgary you'd recommend visiting?

Not really.  Calgary is better known for it's breweries (ie Big Rock, Wild Rose, Minhas, etc) though some breweries have been dabbling in stronger stuff.  For distilleries it's not great, particularly for single malt (there's more rye going on).  Eau Claire distillery in Turner Valley, Highwood in High River, Alberta Distillers in Calgary,  Plus there's a few "craft distillers" kicking around like Last Best Brewing & Distilling, and there's the Park Distillery (a little hole-in-the-wall in Banff).  Alas, I have no info on possible tours as I've never tried to visit any of these...  Maybe i should  happy

You need to join this group before you can add a reply

Whiskybase

Whiskybase is founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.  

Whiskybase B.V. 
Zwaanshals 530 
3035 KS Rotterdam 
The Netherlands 

KVK: 52072819
VAT: NL850288836B01

Copyright © 2018

Forgot your password?

Login